emagic logic used to be beautiful.....

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bob2131, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

i use emagic logic 5.5 on PC.
    it does everything i want it to.
    ive used logic pro on mac.
    the main things needed, 5.5 does it.
    logic used to be underground.
    now its apple branded and on
    the lips of every mac user.

and 40gb logic studio? sigh.
    no need. no need. loops? please........

my 5.5 has built in synths just like logic pro,
    most of them are there.....ive had it for years,
    and i have NOT even managed to browse through EVERY
    preset in every synth. theres that much.
    and we use third party VSTs anyway.

i would buy logic for mac. if it was just logic and jsut the
    built in synths.

its turned in to a bundle suite with excess bloated baggage.

i wonder what happened when apple bought emagic. did they keep the german employers/developers or get rid of them and use new apple logic employees...............i wonder waht happened. its kinda sad.

the vibe of emagic logic has gone.

if it aint broke......leave it alone.

2. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am far from happy about some of the changes since the E-magic days, but almost nothing is worse, about 90% of the size of the package does not need to be installed, and the programs it comes with are actually nice. I understand the complaint, but none of what you are unhappy about is required.

If you skipped 7 and bought it now, you would save $700 over the Mac path I took ($1000 for 7 plus $200 upgrade for 8 opposed to $500).

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

emagic days were nice....NO ONE even knew what it was or that it existed.
    now its a gimmick or "cool" package for every mac user. the magic has worn off....stopping support for pc and trying to force us to switch to mac.
    makes me wanna boot up xp on my macbook and install 5.5 for life.

limitiations are good also for music. i will never master 5.5,,,,its a deep package.....i jsut learnt something the other day on it.

yeah its really cheap now.....why is that? it used to REALLY EXPENSIVE.

are older versions of logic compatible with latest leopard?????
    im thinking of buying an older version off ebay maybe.....not sure yet.

i wonder if the germans still develop it........

any idea what the grid resolution is for midi???
    it was 240 ticks for every 16th note in v5.5.....which was the highest in them days......that is FINE......is it any more finer now??

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't use things because I like to be part of a select club - I use them because they work.

Logic Pro 8 is f***ing amazing and the bundled plugins are f***ing amazing too. The EQs and reverbs are some of the best sounding I've ever heard.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

emagic 5.5 is f****ing amazing and the bundled plugins are f***ing amazing too. eq and reverb???? lol mine are nice too.......but i use waves or other 3rd party.......

get me

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Basically your argument seems to be the following:

Logic 5.5 was more expensive therefore better
    Fewer people used Logic 5.5 therefore it must have been better
    Logic 5.5 had less instruments, samples, loops etc bundled with it for free therefore it must be better
    You haven't used all the features in the synths in Logic 5.5 therefore the added features in Logic 8 must be useless.

Your argument is pointless. You do realise you can customise the install of Logic Studio 8 so that it only installs what you want don't you? Plus the fact that Logic Studio 8 is significantly cheaper than the Emagic version ever was (and has the stuff that used to cost extra included for free).

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The pre-8 plugins aren't a touch on the bundled 8 plugins.

The waves plugins are good, but the L8 plugins use far less in the way of resources and are considerably cheaper too.

Yes the L5 EQs and reverbs are nice, but the EQs don't really have the same circuit emulation as those in L8, the reverbs aren't as clean and start sounding really confused and overly-edgy when you start feeding them sources with loads of harmonics.

8. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no im not saying cheaper is worser.
    things feel better when they are underground. silly i know.
    less options = more creative and good things are borne from limitations.
    yeah you are kinda right.....well said.

is it possible do try a demo of logic pro?

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not that I am aware of unfortunately. There maybe a demo of Logic Express 8 which is pretty much the same thing just with less bundled software.

10. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

When you have the skill set, creativity and talent, more options will always help you expand on possibilities.
    The Beatles were always incorporating new (and old) technologies into their music in a way that nobody else had ever imagined. They certainly didn't suffer for it.

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beatles? lol
    dude they made sgt pepper on a 4 track.....
    if they had logic studio.....hahahaah.......they would have been still working on it now......

12. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Okay then.:confused:

13. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

it does seem like a stupid argument, you dont like the idea of logic 8? so dont buy it, stick with 5.5 if you're happy with it.

14. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have a feeling logic pro is beautiful too........if you jsut strip away all the nonsense.....the loops and librarys and other packages etc.........clean it up........all that other crap with it.....

lol

15. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what size is logic pro on its own??

i know the whole is 40gb.

what size is logic pro and the built in synths and synth presets......on their own.....?

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Not very big, only a few Gigs. Edit: And you can make it even smaller by customising the installation, as someone said.

I for one will take my Logic 8 over Logic 5.5 any day. While I don't have much experience with Logic 5.5, I agree with Cromulent. Logic 8 is a beautiful program that has allowed me to do some great stuff with my music. I'm in the opposite boat as you, apparently, as I feel somewhat limited by the stuff in Logic express. Not that the amount included isn't great, but I need so much more. Don't try to tell me less is better. Maybe for you, but to tell me my music means less than someone else's because they used less things is asinine. Ever heard of a Symphony Orchestra? There's a reason 64-piece symphonies are harder to write for than a three-piece rock band.

17. dLight macrumors member

The app itself is 345 mb.

18. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i kinda lose this argument.
    but im not saying people who use logic pro, their music is less than 5.5 users. not at all.
    im just saying sometimes the less options make you push the equipement to fullest and really sqeeze and master something.
    symphony orchestra vsti or real life?

19. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

and a sequencer is only as good as the vstis and plug ins you install in it.
    (for programmed music)

so if i use third party vstis exclusively....5.5 and pro are the same. they are canvases to arrange and programme.

yeah pro is more sophisticated now for sure.

20. hakukani macrumors regular

Four track? Let's be creative with 1 track, or better yet, let's use wax cylinders.;)

You see, if you're really creative it doesn't matter what you have. You can self-limit.

21. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true true

22. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. MMR macrumors member

Logic 8 is the best version ever (by miles) IMO, and I have been using Logic since before Apple brought Emagic, I run a music studio full time and Logic 8 is my favorite DAW, and I do have most of the others.

24. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

matirx editor = piano roll? ...........lol

object = region? ....................lol

song position line = playhead?.............lol

and the manual uses the font myriad........apple font. ........lol
    very nice font tho.

25. shawwaters macrumors newbie

Hey Bob

I have a copy of Logic Pro 7 Academic. The difference between 7 and 8 is two-fold-- basically, the layout interface is different, but everything inside is essentially the same (some of the more complex features have been drastically streamlined, like the environment window). Also, the algorithms for the EQ and compressor have been changed. Importing files from 7 to 8 yields noticeable different EQ and compressor response-- but the new ones do sound a bit better.

However, I received my certifications on Logic 7, and I am very comfortable with the interface and 8 irks me a little in this regard. Personally, I hate loops but I love the synth patches and jam pack add-ons. I do some composition, and the orchestral sounds are decent.

Anyways, I have 7 and 8, and I'd be happy to sell it to you. If you have a Mac, or you're getting a Mac, and you'd like to stick with your familiar GUI, then take my copy of 7. I paid $500 for it last year. Its academic, so its non-upgradeable, which means its worth about $75 to me :p My e-mail address is shawwaters@gmail.com if you'd like to work out the details. of getting it.

The new Logic doesn't have a key-- I think this is one reason its cheaper. I'd also like to offer up the idea that maybe Apple designed the software to be easily piratable (because if you have to buy Mac hardware to use it, they are still winning, right?) and they decided to drop the price and include 4 DVDs worth of content so that the legit people would feel like they were getting a badass studio for their money. Which they are. Really, Logic 8 is the best complete DAW package you can get for your money-- and remember, its designed to meet the demands of an in-the-box generation. Most people who use Logic can't even play an instrument. That's not Apple's fault-- DigiDesign is forced to go the same way to keep their business model going.