Email a screenshot from the hip

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by james948, Jun 15, 2012.

1. james948 macrumors 6502

I'm going to spend today trying to streamline my workflow (twat!)

I already use Better Touch Tool (that dev needs to be knighted)
    and Skitch and Dragon Drop is fast becoming a lifesaver.
    Oh, and Alfred which I've set up for my torrent searches, rotten tomatoes searches etc.

One thing I often do is email screenshots. This requires taking the picture, finding it in my finder, dragging it into an email or via dragon drop.

Is there an application that will plop the screenshot straight into an email for me?

Anyone else know of some other life savers?

To be honest, I must have downloaded keyboard maestro or whatever it's called about seven times but never used it. Has anyone had any experience with it? Steep learning curve?

Thanks in advance,
    James.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never heard of an app that will put a screenshot automatically in a new e-mail, but is it that difficult to just drag and drop it in? You can set screenshots to go directly to the desktop to make them easier to find...

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You could probably use Automator to compose a new email whenever a screenshot is taken, although that might get annoying when you don't want to email screenshots. There's also a neat little utility called Sikuli that makes it very easy to write scripts through various drag and drop methods.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

How do you take a screenshot currently? If you use the shortcut Command-Shift-Control-3 or Command-Shift-Control-4 (for full screen or a portion of the screen respectively), it will place it in the clipboard instead of saving a file in your screenshot directory. Then you can just paste into an email, although I don't know if every email client will display that properly (I'd guess it would still come through as an attachment, but I haven't tested).

jW

5. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do use cmd-shift-4
    I didn't know about cmd-shift-control-4
    VERY handy.

But still. It is a pain to open up a new email; which is why in Safari, hitting cmd-i puts the page in an email. I want something that does it all.

I'll have a look at automator but would have thought there was something out there.

6. dma550 macrumors 6502

I agree, I am using this keystroke, or Jing when I need to do quick annotations.

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

small applescript like the one below would grab the screenshot, save it to desktop, open mail and paste it as an attachment

you then just need an app that'll let you assign that script as a hot key combo (quicksilver is free)

property N : 0
    set N to N + 1
    set picPath to ((POSIX path of (path to desktop)) & "Picture_" & N & ".png") as string
    do shell script "screencapture -tjpg " & quoted form of picPath
    set theAttachment to picPath
    tell application "Mail"
    set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:"Screen capture", content:"My Screen capture"}
    tell content of theMessage
    make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment} at after last paragraph
    end tell
    end tell

8. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

That’s a good idea. You could make that more convenient by making it a service instead of an application. That way, it would be more convenient without having it activate every time a screenshot is taken. You could also assign a keyboard shortcut to it.