Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdembek

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Trying to avoid consuming a good about of drive space from having locally stored email, however at the same time I need to locally store email. Is there any tips regarding not syncing emails older then 9 months old or best practices for locally stored email with the MBA?

Last edited:

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
OK I do similar things on my PC, so I guess you could with the air too. I have 4 email accounts set up - 3 are IMAP, so download nothing to the PC in terms of permanent files, BUT the 4th is a POP account (my ISP). On that I have created a number of sub directories and as I want to store stuff locally & remove it from the IMAP server, I drag & drop to there

I have not used Mail on OSX, only Outlook on a PC, but I'm sure something similar can be set up.

sputn1k

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
I honestly don't understand why people use anything other than Gmail.

Well, because some of us use Gmail in mail.app.

I honestly don't understand why people think their preference should be everyone's, it's a reasonable question.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia

5 domains, each with a number of totally seperate email accounts. All controlled by ME, not some other company who could be doing anything with the data that goes through the acccount.

I dont use any free email accounts at all for a reason...

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009

Because it's Google. Do you really want an advertising company having all your email, searches, social messages, voice conversations, ect?

And yes, Google is an ad company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.