Email account setup: which SMTP for outgoing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v1rok, Jul 30, 2008.

1. v1rok macrumors newbie

Hi,

(Love my iPhone!!!)

Trying to set iPhone to send/receive my school emails. I already setup the receiving part by entering my school's IMAP address. What do I need to do to be able to send emails from this account? Which SMTP address I should use?

I have a similar setup on my home desktop with Outlook. For desktop, I used the SMTP address of my internet provider (Verizon) and everything works perfectly. I receive emails from my school IMAP server and I can send emails by re-routing them through Verizon's SMTP server.

I am assuming to make this work on iPhone, I will meed to specify SMTP address for AT&T outgoing email server? Can somebody help me?

Thanks!!!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You should be able to use either the Schools SMTP system or the built-it at&t SMTP server.

TEG

3. v1rok thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried university SMTP server -- iPhone does not want to send emails this way.

What is the name for the AT&T's built-in SMTP server? smtp.att.com?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

See photo.

The real problem is that when you're on wi-fi, it can't find it! I set the AT&T server as my primary, and my ISP as the backup server. If I'm on Wi-fi it looks for AT&T, can't find it, and then tries my home's ISP outgoing server.

Ok, great, but when I'm on someone else's wi-fi it can't send at all and I have to log off and get on the cellular network to send e-mail.

It's all a big pain, this is one of the reasons g-mail or .me accounts are so great. They can avoid all this BS.

5. v1rok thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I see. I did not notice that there was a default option available for AT&T server and that it was OFF. I turned it ON.

I don't understand why being on a different WiFi network might cause a problem for sending emails. Does it not say that iPhone will try all available servers, one-by-one, until it finds the one from which it can send the email? So, after trying to unsuccesfully send it through "foreign" WiFi network for some time, the iPhone should switch to 3G AT&T (if available) and send it that way? Or am I wrong on this one?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, because when the phone is on wi-fi, it's not looking for the 3G or EDGE data network, and Mail can't force the phone to look.

So at home I have the server set up for my Cox Cable ISP outgoing server. It can't find AT&T so it uses that. When I'm at my mom's house I get on her Verizon Wi-fi. Now I can't send mail because I don't have Verizon's server in my phone. So I have to log off the wi-fi, send the mail onAT&T, then log back onto the wi-fi again.

Fortunately I'd say that I'm on AT&T or my home wi-fi 95% of the time. So this doesn't come up a lot.