Email acting up - No push/Fetch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Jul 22, 2010.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

This has been an on and off issue since I purchased the iPhone 4. Seems a restart resolves it but I can never be too sure. I don't know what causes it though.

I have 5 accounts setup. My fetch accounts are not fetching. I have to manually go in and let it check, then it finds them.

Anyone else having this issue? It's a little annoying. Anyone know what might be causing it? :confused:

Thanks!

2. TexasMac2010 macrumors newbie

Had the same problem yesterday with Hotmail. Not sure what caused it, but it seamed to self correct; I'm now getting emails without having to manually check.

3. bababoey14 macrumors regular

Son I posted a thread about this Thursday. It must be a but with 4.0.1. If you delete the account and re-install it then push might work

4. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I searched and did not see a thread.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I have a similar issue with 4.1 Beta.

All my accounts stopped receiving all at once and the phone claimed by passwords were incorrect.

I had to delete and re-add all the accounts to fix the issue.

6. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

i was having the same issue with my 3.1.2 3gs for about 2 weeks before i sold it {just shipped it out tuesday}. it was doing that for my 2 hotmail accounts, but my gmail account was working fine....

7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

strange because mine are all set to manual, fetch is on manual and push is off and they still update on there own! I can't figure out how to get them to stop

8. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Mine are working fine after a restart. No issues so far today.

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

It's not just 4.0.1. I'm still on 4.0 and it happens maybe every other day (along with the "phantom" messages that show up as dated 12/31/69). Restart takes care of both, but it's kind of a pain to have to do that (especially when I depend on the phone to alert me when I have email. There have been times I was unaware that push had quit working and when I went to check it it downloaded 18 emails from hours before. Grr.)

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

so you guys never boot your phone? i shut mine off every night to charge!

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I don't. The only time I restart is if something crashes and the phone locks up and requires it, when the phone gets glitchy (which does happen every so often), or when I update.

It's normal for me to never restart the phone for weeks at a time.

12. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

What he ^ said.

I have done it a few times with past iPhone models but the iPhone 4 seems to have more issues requiring it more frequently. I never turn my phone off unless I need to.

13. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Anyone have any fixes for this?

I have removed two accounts and added them back in. Same issue. Some days I have no problem, lately I am not getting any email fetched. I have to manually go in and check and I get a flood of emails coming in from hours ago. It's really aggravating. :(

14. Matt-ATC macrumors newbie

Same issues on 4.0.. Im running comcast and I wont get new emails unless I click into the mail icon. Then after reading the new mail, I get doubles of each about a min or two later. Im also getting the phantom 12/31/69 emails.

15. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Well, I did some searching and found a thread over on the Apple forums with users having the same issue. They think it has something to do with the PUSH feature not working with Apple's Multitasking of the email application.

The solution - turn of PUSH in the email settings.

I was surprised. It works. My emails are coming in like clockwork now. Hopefully they address this issue in the coming update.

Hope this helps someone else. :)