Email 'Add to contacts'?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Peter Franks, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

When certain emails come in with people's name and mobile number and option to add to your contacts, how is that determined and how do you stop your own name and mobile number being sent with the emails you send, especially from my work account email etc from iphone?

There must be an opt in opt out for that?

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I didn't find an option. My wife's work email has her address and fax info in the signature. In my contacts I added the fax number and fixed the address (I had Rd. her signature had Road) and I don't get the add to any more.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It only shows up if the name/phone number are in the email, such as when people use their name, phone number and perhaps address in their email signature.

All it is is Mail determining if a person's contact info is shown in the email, and, rather than you having to go through the steps of creating the contact yourself, it gives you the easy option of adding it for you.

If you do not send this information in an email, the receiver of your email will not see this option.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

You're a star. Thanks for that. Much appreciated

----------

I think Tyler's explanation nails it

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I would still prefer to turn this feature off. I am on many mailing lists and each email has that sudden shuffle when the app detects numbers and such.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

A fault I learned from it yesterday is that it offers me the senders name with my number on it as a 'contact', which it's picked up from my signature, but it has their name.