Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Hi. This is a question regarding changing the "from" address of my emails.

I have the email program that came with my powerbook (Mail?). I subscribe to earthlink thru dialup, so I configured my Mail to retrieve my earthlink emails (let's call it nutella@earthlink.net even though it's not).

I also have my own domain (let's call it http://www.nutella.com) and it has email forwarding. So if anyone sends an email to email@nutella.com, it automatically goes to my nutella@earthlink.net account.

The only problem is that when I respond to their email, it is from nutella@earthlink.net. Is there a way to have my emails be from email@nutella.com? I tried playing around with Mail preferences, and it seems that maybe I could type the new address in the top boxes of the Account Info screen. But would that cancel the original settings I have? Is it possible to have more than one outgoing address for the same account? By the way, I have my domain thru godaddy if that makes a difference.

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks for any help!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can create new accounts in mail. When you send or reply to an email, you can tell the app which account to send it from. There will be a little pull down menu.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks! But I'm still not sure I understand. I already have an account in Mail called nutella@earthlink.net. It asks me for my password, so I'm guessing it needs to be a "legitimate" account, which it is. The nutella.com email doesn't dial in to anywhere or have a password or any of that pop smtp stuff, it's just a forwarding account. Should I edit my current nutella@earthlink.net account to look like it's from nutella.com? Would I still be able to get mail from people who send it to nutella@earthlink.net? :confused:

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Basically, because you're nutella.com account is configured for mail forwarding only you will not be able to send mail from this account with your current set up.

If you would like to send mail from nutella.com you will have to first host the account with a web hosting company, which offers POP or IMAP access. This will cost you a small fee. You will then be able to set up nutella.com as a new account from which to send or receive mail.

You're earthlink account will still be active and you can easily control both accounts though mail.app.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
munkle said:
Basically, because you're nutella.com account is configured for mail forwarding only you will not be able to send mail from this account with your current set up.

If you would like to send mail from nutella.com you will have to first host the account with a web hosting company, which offers POP or IMAP access. This will cost you a small fee. You will then be able to set up nutella.com as a new account from which to send or receive mail.

You're earthlink account will still be active and you can easily control both accounts though mail.app.
That's true, but off the mark. What Nutella wants to do is send mail from the Earthlink account, but make it look like it's coming from the nutella.com account - similar to sending mail under a .Mac alias. Here's a link to a solution that should do the trick, courtesy of fellow member LeeTom: Link

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
wrldwzrd89 said:
That's true, but off the mark. What Nutella wants to do is send mail from the Earthlink account, but make it look like it's coming from the nutella.com account - similar to sending mail under a .Mac alias. Here's a link to a solution that should do the trick, courtesy of fellow member LeeTom: Link

Aaah! Thanks for correcting me and teaching me something new! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.