Email aliases

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amro, Oct 8, 2016.

1. amro macrumors 6502

I currently use Yahoo+ for email aliases. It allows me to set up a base name then add aliases such that I get "basename-alias@yahoo.com". I don't know Yahoo's future with all of this bad news about them, so I'm looking to switch to something else.

I like the idea of G Suite and having my own domain, but I'm only allowed 30 aliases per user. Currently, I have over 150 aliases. I do this to see who's selling my information (surprisingly low). Google's "+" option is a no go, because many websites don't allow "+" in an email address.

I think I pay Yahoo $25/year for this feature, and I'm willing to pay to keep this feature with any other service. With G Suite, I would have to have 6 users to get 180 aliases and at $5 per user, that's way too much to pay.

Any thoughts?

2. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

No one has any thoughts? I really don't want to stick with Yahoo+, but there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative.

I was about to bite the bullet on Office 365 Small Business + GoDaddy which allows me to link to my own domain and allows up to 200 aliases, but replies from those aliases show up from the primary email address.

I'd like to have:

1. My own domain
    2. Up to 200 aliases
    3. Replies that show alias email address

I can't believe Yahoo is the only way to get this at an affordable price.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Well, it's an odd Use Case ... i.e., I have over 150 aliases. I do this to see who's selling my information

If you need complete email control, without any limits - and I'm not suggesting this lightly - you might consider setting up a small VPS (on AWS, or Rackspace, etc.) and deploying your own server. There are some good articles that will walk you through the process, provide a good "email stack" for core services, security, filtering, spam management and the requirements for DNS setup and config.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I used to do that, too.

I'm sticking with Yahoo for now. I doubt the mail service disappears completely.

5. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is an odd use case. But the idea started a couple of years ago when my spam email was too much and at the same time I started using different passwords for every one of my online logins. I started using 1Password to manage my passwords and then wanted to take it a step further by having unique email address for every online login. Well, once I started going through my online logins my list started to grow. You'd be amazed at how many logins you have. Oddly enough Yahoo+ offered a great option to be able to create "Disposable Addresses". Now that I have unique email addresses, I can see if any company is selling it. A few of the bad ones are Tripadvisor and Expedia. They have a bunch of smaller companies that have access to their email list which I have no desire to read, so they're blocked.

And, with the domain registration, my email address gets a little shorter. Instead of alias-basename@yahoo.com, I would have alias@domainame.com. (I embrace my OCDs) o_O

6. pauliet macrumors regular

unless you need to 'reply' from the alias (i.e. communicate using the alias as opposed to just register with it, use a fairly standardard hosting co... mine allows me to direct all email traffic (irrespective of whether it matches emails or aliases created) to a specific mail account. in turn you can then manage each alias with a smart mailbox on your mac :)

no need to setup actual aliases, just register with with each new site using amro.siteA@domain.com then amro.siteB@domain.com etc.etc. eay to identify which site is selling your details if the second part of your mail name is the site or abbreviation of same!