Email App constantly re-downloading emails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sylon, May 8, 2012.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I have limited internet here where I am right now, at home this wouldn't be an issue, but abroad it is. My stock email app on OS X Lion is constantly re-downloading the same emails over and over and over again. That gets pretty bandwidth dependant when its downloading 1500 emails over and over again. Is there a setting I need to check where it only downloads new emails in my inbox and not the thousands in various folders? It only needs to download those once, why is it downloading them over and over if they are already there?

2. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Have you set the mail app to delete messages from the server when they have been downloaded?

REM.jpg

3. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I don't even have an option to do that. This is what both of my accounts show on that menu setting. I had to delete my Yahoo email account from the Mail app because the app kept re-downloading all those emails every 5-10 minutes.

Attached Files:

4. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Those are IMAP email accounts the one i have is a POP account, so thats why you dont have the option to delete from server. My guess is you will need to log into the accounts online and change the settings in your online account not in the Mail app.

I did find on Apple.com support forum a similar problem what they did was to delete a file from their library:-

Go To -> Your User Account/Library/Mail/MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3

Then restart Mail

Might work for you