Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melymel96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Just like the title says...anybody having this issue? I have my iphone connected to my exchange server and everytime I try to open an attachment the mail app crashes. I also noticed that if I try to do the automatic scroll to the top my tapping the date in the mail app that doesnt work either.

Just trying to see if anybody else is having the same issue and if there is a fix.

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
I have had this a few times with my mobileme account. I have found that the mail app only seems to crash on unread emails. If I read the email on my computer so it is marked as read then the iPhone will open it without crashing, I don't receive attachements often so I have never tried to do anything about it.

I do know however that I had the same problem before I had jailbroken the phone, so I don't think it is a jailbreak problem, but a conflict somewhere else.

melymel96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I have had this a few times with my mobileme account. I have found that the mail app only seems to crash on unread emails. If I read the email on my computer so it is marked as read then the iPhone will open it without crashing, I don't receive attachements often so I have never tried to do anything about it.

I do know however that I had the same problem before I had jailbroken the phone, so I don't think it is a jailbreak problem, but a conflict somewhere else.

Thanks Paul...Appreciate the response.

momo8881

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Mail App Crashing

Just like the title says...anybody having this issue? I have my iphone connected to my exchange server and everytime I try to open an attachment the mail app crashes. I also noticed that if I try to do the automatic scroll to the top my tapping the date in the mail app that doesnt work either.

Just trying to see if anybody else is having the same issue and if there is a fix.

I can only make mine crash when opening a pdf. Some open ok but most do not. I have tried respring, reboot, hard reset, uninstalling pdf warner and reinstalling pdf warner. I have no other symptoms.

My phone is also on an exchange server.

-Kevin

momo8881

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Update on Mail Crash (Help Please)

I can now make mail crash just about everytime when opening any attachment in mail. Wave, excel, word and pdf's crash. Oddly enough, if you hold press the attachment and then chooose quick view it will open and not crash. This all happens in my exchange and gmail account.

I installed/uninstalled every app (docs to go, ibooks, pdf warner) that i have that would be obvious.

I have also seen the auto scroll to top stop working as melymel96 mentioned but manually (double tap then hold app and close) closing mail and reopening fixed that.

When running phone under safe mode everything is fine. Any ideas out there aside from restore would be much appreciated!!

-Kevin

iPhone 4, 4.0.1

melymel96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I can now make mail crash just about everytime when opening any attachment in mail. Wave, excel, word and pdf's crash. Oddly enough, if you hold press the attachment and then chooose quick view it will open and not crash. This all happens in my exchange and gmail account.

I installed/uninstalled every app (docs to go, ibooks, pdf warner) that i have that would be obvious.

I have also seen the auto scroll to top stop working as melymel96 mentioned but manually (double tap then hold app and close) closing mail and reopening fixed that.

When running phone under safe mode everything is fine. Any ideas out there aside from restore would be much appreciated!!

-Kevin

iPhone 4, 4.0.1

Kevin thanks for that. I used SBSettings and closed the Mail app and reopened and now the automatic scroll works.

Still cant open any attachments. Excel pdf..doesnt matter.

I can live with it since I get the extra's from jailbreaking but I'm trying to verify if this is really from the jailbreak or something else because I barely got my i4 on Friday and the first thing I did was jailbreak..lol.

momo8881

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Problem Solved!! At least for me.

Hey melymel96,

The problem has been addressed on my phone at least. It was the intelliscreen app. This morning there was an update to the apps (shared components) and the update specifically said that it addressed mail attachments. I can verify that all my attachments are working with everything installed. I have ibooks, pdf warner, docs to go and intelliscreen running.

I use Rock and Cydia and I would advise anyone using intelliscreen to do the same as the update was available on Rock and not on Cydia this morning. If you are new to jailbreaking make sure check those two apps regularly for updates as the community is very good at fixing things quickly.

Hope this was your problem melymel96.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.