Email App Is Taking Up So Much $$@$ing Space!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Henry-Johnson, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Henry-Johnson macrumors newbie

For technical info: I have an Apple iPad 3 (16GB) running iOS 8.1.3, currently with 2.1 GB available.

For the last few months, I have noticed that my Mail app has grown very large. I don't send out lots of emails (maybe 1-4 a day, tops), but I receive 4-5 a day. When I first got this iPad from a friend of mine (who erased all of his data and settings) in mid August, the Mail app was about 20MB. Ever since that, it just grew and grew. And now as of 4-24-15, it is now at a whopping 1.0GB and it is getting bigger! I have read just about every other blogpost, message, post, etc., and I have not found any answers. I have cleared my inbox, my sent mail, my trash, my all mail, and my spam folder hundreds of times, but it doesn't work. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! :mad: I am to the point where I just want to take it outside with a 12gauge and shoot it!

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I asked the BF and he had two thoughts.

1. Are you using gmail. Cause with gmail even if you think you cleared all mail it doesn't. It rolls right back over. What you need to go is go into your gmail on the website and under the settings for IMAP turn off show for all mail. Then it will keep archiving but not include it on iPhone etc

2. It could be a bug in your install of iOS 8. Try backing it up and doing a restore and update.

3. Henry-Johnson, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

Henry-Johnson thread starter macrumors newbie

I do use gmail, but I can't find the IMAP settings. Should I do it on a PC (I'm not a Mac user)? Anyways, I have received an update from Apple for iOS 8.3. ; I will install it - it maybe a bug like you said.

11:10 AM UPDATE: The update would not install at this time.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Clear all of your email settings in the Settings.app. If that clears it then see if it comes back by resyncing that same email.

5. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Try updating it through iTunes, you will probably not have enough space on the device for an OTA update