Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mario Loco

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Is there some way of putting a password on your email so that when someone else uses your iPad 2 they can not see your email.

jsan1

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
NYC
I think you can go into settings -> general -> restrictions. Enable and check to see if your email is covered under restrictions. Not too sure as I dont have them enabled myself, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Mario Loco

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think you can go into settings -> general -> restrictions. Enable and check to see if your email is covered under restrictions. Not too sure as I dont have them enabled myself, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Nothing in restrictions. Only thing in there is to allow changes to the mail as in account settings. Thanks though. Worth a shot!!

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
No, there isn't.

I have previously sent Apple feedback on this as I would like this possibility.

More feedback to Apple requesting this wouldn't hurt!:)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I do find it very peculiar that Apple has not instituted even the option of entering a password for email access. I have not even set-up my email on my iPad 2 for this very reason. I just use webmail. This appears to be one of Apple's quirky "grudges" akin to no Flash, 2-3 years to develop copy/paste, 2-3 years for MMS, etc. I don't know why though.

Email is integrated rather well into everything though. Having to enter a password everytime may inconvenience some people. But, this is why the option would be nice (for people who really need a password).

JerseyBill

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
I also have not set up email on my iPad for this reason - and I really want to. Same for my FaceBook app, which at least has an "in app" password gateway.

Apple clearly does not want to institute the kind of multi-user system common in OSX and Windows on a mobile device, but that is not what we are asking for. All we want is the ability to set a password for specific apps to limit their accessibility to others borrowing the iPad.

I cannot imagine anything more personal and sensitive than a person's email account or FaceBook account. Yes, mobile devices tend to be used by single individuals - but I would suggest this is less so with iPads than iPhones. How many of us share our iPads with our kids, significant others, co workers, friends, etc? Do we just trust they don't open our email accounts? Is that reasonable or realistic? I see this as a critical design flaw in Apple's design and implementation of the iPad system.

A password could be designed so that it wouldn't have to be re-entered so long as the iPad has not gone back to sleep mode or been turned off. That way, you are not re-entering multiple times in a session.

Inclusion of this feature would materially improve my enjoyment of this device, and I can't see any drawbacks to such a feature....

JZB

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
I think the main reason they have not included the password for email is that the iPad is a "One User Only Device" Apple has said a number of times that they do not plan on allowing multiple user accounts on their devices and I think this falls into that catagory.... I wish they would though..... maybe someday

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think the main reason they have not included the password for email is that the iPad is a "One User Only Device" Apple has said a number of times that they do not plan on allowing multiple user accounts on their devices and I think this falls into that catagory.... I wish they would though..... maybe someday

I agree. This is what they want. But in reality, this is not that practical as they cost too much. If someone has a family of 4-5, are they really going to buy 4-5 iPads? Or, if it's just you and your spouse, why buy two? My wife and I don't really use the iPad that much to justify buying 2 of them. So, what is the result of these real-life situations? The end-user suffers at the expense of Apple's greed. My wife and I don't have email set up on our iPad for this reason, thus we lose out on this experience.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Still no progress?

I got on the iPad bandwagon just a few months ago, but still see no native iOS feature in 5.1 to password protect personal apps like Mail or Facebook.:eek:
I really don't understand why. There are apps that can do it under Cydia but I don't want to jailbreak my iPad
Apple needs to realize how iPads are used in real life, not hide behind 'the iPad was designed as a single user device'. Duh! I'm not even asking for multi-user options. Just single user protection!
In the real world iPads do get passed around the family/workspace to watch pictures or play a game. That's the collateral damage you get by designing such a beautiful device. The demand for such a simple feature being built in natively seems ligit to me. Just a simple user-definable list to which you can add 'sensitive' apps, and temporarily disable access to those (swipe a cross?), and switch back to normal operation with one simple password.
How hard can that be? :D
Hopelfully developers working on iOS 6 have seen the light.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.