Email app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lazerbrains, Nov 8, 2011.

1. lazerbrains macrumors regular

lazerbrains

I am looking for an email app other than Apple Mail for OSX Lion. I use Apple Mail for work, and don't want mix my personal email with my work email app. So I need to use either Thunderbird, Postbox 3, Outlook 2011, or Sparrow. I have a Gmail account, a Google Apps account, a yahoo account, and a standard IMAP account. I don't generally use the Gmail web interface, so most of the web interface features don't matter to me. What is the best option, that is good, quick, and I can search quickly?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You know that e-mails accounts are still kept separate in Apple Mail, right?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Mail meets all of your criteria. Currently, I have six email accounts setup in the computer used to post this response. They include accounts with AOL, two Gmail accounts, one with my ISP, Live Hotmail, and Yahoo!. On my laptop, I have all of these plus my MobileMe account.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Well, my younger brother is a fan of sparrow. And I have to admit, it looks pretty good.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Sparrow is nice to look at, but what it has in looks, it lacks in features. Namely sorting options, short comings in archiving, not being able to use the spacebar to scroll through messages. I am not bashing Sparrow, my mother uses it and likes it. I think if you are looking for an email program with a great interface and your needs are fairly basic, Sparrow is a good option. But I don't know that it offers anything that the Lion version of Mail doesn't. Mail in Lion has pretty much the same pro's without Sparrow's cons.

6. lazerbrains thread starter macrumors regular

lazerbrains

Thanks for the input everyone. I currently use Apple Mail for my work email, and want to keep that email account as the only one in Mail. So that when I am working, and need to have email open, I only have my work email coming in, and am not distracted by other emails, and personal messages.

So Basically I need another decent email program to add my personal accounts in. I have been using Sparrow, and I like it, but if I need to search for a meassage, it seems to always error, and tell me that the "syncronization is not complete" and won't search. Then I have to go find things manually. If it weren't for that problem, SParrow would be fine. Has anyone used Postbox 3 yet? Or the new version of Thunderbird? Pros Cons? Also, I used to use Entourage years ago. How is the new Outlook for Mac? Any info would be helpful.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Um-m-m-m, no, you don't. You may selectively disable any account that you have setup in Mail. You may also selectively prevent any active account from downloading new messages.