Email Apple Regarding Time Machine Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tallest Skil, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does anyone know the e-mail address at Apple to which I could send a rather paranoid and panicked question about Time Machine?

I had to restore from a Time Machine backup this morning, and the backup had saved everything except my iPhoto library, so years of photographs (including my impossible-to-duplicate trip to Ireland) are gone.

I have a nine month old backup on my laptop, which is better than nothing, but it forgoes about a quarter of the pictures I have obtained since.

I can't even imagine how this happened. I'm horribly distraught. If anyone knows to whom I should send an e-mail asking about Time Machine's presets or knows how I might try to recover my photos, that'd be spectacular; thanks.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Have you gone through all of the Time Machine versions? Man, I am sorry to hear about losing pictures... that ain't cool.

4. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just got my Time Machine drive four days ago, so it only had three backups on it. I restored while booted from Install Disk 1 that came with my Mac Pro; I chose the latest one. When I go into Time Machine, I can't go back at all...:confused::(

Attached Files:

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Try this. Open iPhoto and then enter Time Machine.

6. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Should I just pick "Create New..." here? The entire library file is missing. Not the contents; the file itself. Nothing else is out of place; not even my gigantic iTunes library.

Attached Files:

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah that shouldn't matter. New library isn't a concern right now, but the thing is that Time Machine and iPhoto have their own separate way of doing things.

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

OP - have you browsed the TM disk without using time machine (just as you'd browse a USB/Firewire drive for files)? In the folder hierarchy you can navigate backups.backupdb --> "computer-name" --> "pick-a-date-time" --> Machintosh HD --> Users --> "user-name" --> Pictures.

Hopefully, you'd see the "iPhoto Library" -- you can right click and show package contents, and inside there should be a directory of ORIGINALS (with its own organization).

You should be able to copy the images from there on to another drive. Good luck!

9. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks, but after erasing my boot drive and restoring from the latest backup, the Time Machine drive (and my other storage drive) were read and write locked, so I had to erase them.

I'm now trying to run StellarPhoenix on it to see if that can recover anything. It worked for recovered files from my Trash before...

10. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

thats strange when i restored couple weeks ago time machine had my iphoto backed up =/

11. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

StellarPhoenix takes around six hours to get halfway through the drive (it is finding things), but it quits itself right after the halfway point (no error messages, no popups, nothing).

Anyone know of any other disk recovery software? This thing is absolutely worthless if it is just going to quit every fricking time. :mad:

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

data recovery software threads

As far as your original question regarding an e-mail address... I doubt you'll find one. Apple's Contact and Support pages just send you in circles if you want to do anything other than calling them.

13. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

If time machine backed up your photos then they are on the device you backed them up to look/search on the device for the type of files you had.
    .jpg or .tif or .gif
    Time machine backsup my files on my USB device at
    Backups.backupdb
    so look for that or something similiar.

HTH,