Email attachment issue with MS Office.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Dave, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I have an issue emailing MS-Office documents that I can't figure out.
    - I have two systems, 24" iMac and 13" unibody Macbook both running SL.
    - I have both Office 2004 and 2008 installed on both.
    - I have two user accounts on each machine. (Mine and the wife's)
    - When I attach Ms-Office documents to an email from my account on either machine, PC users can open them fine.
    - When my wife attaches MS-Office documents on either machine, PC users cannot open them.
    - We are both in school and often upload documents to our school's website. The same behavior is noticed.

I have made sure that the "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" is always checked, and pay close attention to file format IE. .doc/.docx but still can't figure out what is going on with my Wife's account.

Anyone solved this before?

Thanks,

Dave

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is an interesting question and something I haven not encountered

Do the files just refuse to open, or do they get an error message?
    Do the files show up as Office files at all or as generic files?
    Do they come through with the proper extension on the other end?
    What happens if you zip the files?

You have done a good job explaining the situation, but are there any additional details?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

You have pointed me to do some investigation. I will need to do some emailing to make sure I can answer your questions properly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that until later today. Thanks for your response and I'll do some more testing and post my findings.

Thanks,

Dave

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

very interesting

One other question :

Is your wife able to OPEN attached Office files correctly through her account?

If YES, then is she able to mail the file that was just opened with success?

That will determine if it's just ones that she creates or if it's ones that she views and forwards...

----

I am very curious what the final solution to this is, since my wife and I have a very similar setup... but not the problem. :)

Consider me subscribed!

----

5. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

I did some testing this evening. I created Word documents with both 2004 and 2008.
    - I emailed each file separately to myself and checked my email under Windows.
    - When I received the email with a 2004 doc in it, the file didn't have a file extension. The file didn't open until I added .doc to the end of the file. This may be because I have an old version of MS Office on Windows. (2001 I think)
    - When I emailed a 2008 doc everything worked perfectly.

So I have narrowed the problem down to something fishy with Office 2004. Since I have Office 2008 and everything works fine, I took the lazy way out and instructed the wife to only use Office 2008. I created 2008 icons on her dock and hopefully she won't have any issues with it.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Dave

6. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart