Email attachments

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Shanghaichica, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

So I was trying to reply to an email on my iPad today. I hit reply, typed out my email and then realised that I couldn't add an attachment. I know you can select the file from another app and choose to share via email but can it be done if you are replying to an email or writing a fresh email from within the mail app.

In the end I had to reply using my Samsung galaxy S5 so that I could add the attachment.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's a thread discussing that very issue here. Yes, it's common knowledge that iOS has no user-accessible file system, which would facilitate attaching files as you describe. There are workarounds, but they are cumbersome.

3. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Email attachments

It depends what you want to share as an attachment. Photos and videos can be shared in a reply from Mail app with iOS 7.

4. AndreaTa macrumors regular

So, how can I add photos or videos? I can't see the attachment icon in the Message screen.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hold your finger on the screen as if you were selecting something when the copy paste bubble pops up select the right arrow

6. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I sent two emails yesterday with attachments. One via my S5 and one via my iPad (in its hobbled way). The recipient of the attachment sent via my iPad replied today saying that they can't print the attachment. In the end I had to re-send it using my S5 and they were able to print it off. Of course I could have used my laptop but I don't see why I should have to when I have an iPad and smart phone.

I also tried to view a PDF file attachment that I'd sent via email a few months ago on my iPad and iPod touch today. Well after a minute of waiting for the file to open I had to look at it on my S5 which was able to open it instantly.

It's little things like this that stop me using an iPhone as a daily driver.

7. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

I have used both a Samsung Galaxy S-5 and an iPhone, various iPhone models with iOS 7 with no problem opening or saving a .pdf files or printing image file attachments with an iPhone. With my iPhone, I can print to any printer attached to my network. No problem at all. I have been able to do this for some time now. I personally don't think the Samsung Galaxy S-5 is easier.

8. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The other person was trying to print from a PC, not an iphone or another smartphone. I don't know maybe they just didn't know what they were doing!

It's good to have both OS's I think.

9. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Well, The Samsung Galaxy S-5 is only one an example of what a company can do with Android OS. Not what Android OS is for all users.

10. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yes. However in sure most high end android phones can do the same or more than the S5. Yet ios is predominantly used in enterprise so it can't be all bad. I suppose if I didn't have the S5 and only had ios devices I would have found a viable workaround. There are also things that I prefer to do on my ios devices. It's just a matter of convenience.

11. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

That depends on the device and what you want to do.