Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
With 2.2 on my 1st gen Touch I can no longer delete any email, no matter which account it's from. I get the pop-up message:

"Unable to Move Message
The message could not be moved to
the mailbox Trash."

Anyone else have this problem? Better yet, anyon know of a fix?

4D

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I'm getting the same on my 2gen Touch.

I see it on my SMTP mail account, but I'm able to delete emails from my Exchange account.

This functionality worked on FW 2.1.1

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I had the same problem with AOL mail via my touch, since 2.2. I fixed it by changing the destination of "Deleted Mail" to the "Saved" folder on the AOL server. It seems to me that if there is no Trash folder on the email service, then there is nowhere to send the trash to, unless you redirect it to another folder.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Anyone else with 2.2 email delete problems? It's not fixing itself. Every time I get new email the available space on my touch gets smaller, and since I can't delete it my 8gb Touch will eventually run out of space for anything else.

zero.fx

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
London
i dont seem to have any problems regarding deleting emails, but one problem i do have is that my ipod touch 2g doesnt seem to push email unless i open the mail app. I have the settings to push and fetch new data every 15min but still doesnt seem to push. it only works when i open mail app manually then i will see the emails. is this even normal?

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Just putting this out so people know whats up.

I had the same issue with a personal IMAP account.
Found a post that said to make sure under Settings>Advanced>Deleted items that it was pointing to "On my iPhone Trash" mine was but i changed it temporarily and then put it back to "On my iPhone Trash" it worked after that.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I had the same issue with a personal IMAP account. Found a post that said to make sure under Settings>Advanced>Deleted items that it was pointing to "On my iPhone Trash" mine was but i changed it temporarily and then put it back to "On my iPhone Trash" it worked after that.
Thanks, hobbbz. I finally got mine to work although to be more specific:
Settings
Mail, Contacts, Calendars
(pick one of your accounts)
Advanced
Deleted Mailbox (change to something other than what is set, for example from Trash (on my iphone) to Trash (INBOX) or Deleted Messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.