Email Client Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MRU, May 28, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK so I've been using Entourage for years, and now I'm all switched to intel macs and the fact that it'll probably be a while before I see a new UB version - I was wondering if there is another email client you would recommend.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mail, and ideally I'd like somthing that could import my existing entourage mailbox - Thunderbird 2 does not.

Anyone profer some advice ?

2. justG macrumors member

justG

If you're as picky as I am, and if you deal with as much mail as I do, options are severely limited. Seriously, I've yet to find a decent e-mail client. I switched to the Mac from Windows late last year, and was a very reluctant Outlook user. Although I hated it, it was the only client robust enough to handle the volume of mail I threw at it in a way that was comfortable for me.

When I switched to OS X, I tried Mail.app and loved its simplicity but quickly realised it's not really very robust and I need "workarounds" for every little thing. (For example, a big one for me is that I like marking my mail read manually, and manually only. The only way to keep Mail from automatically marking my mail read is to get rid of the preview pane - ARGH.) I then switched to Entourage. Entourage was actually pretty cool, if kind of bloated (but since everybody's needs differ, I kind of expected that). Unfortunately, with the volume of mail I have (about 3GB), it began to crash incessantly (Intel Mac, Entourage ran in Rosetta, as you already know). After my last overhaul, I switched back to Mail.app. It's too simple, yes, but it doesn't crash all the time. It'll do until I can find something better.

The options I'm looking forward to evaluating are:
    - Leopard's Mail.app
    - Office 2008
    - Penelope (Eudora gone open source)

The reasons that it's best to stick with Mail.app for now:
    - When another client that suits you is made available, you can be certain it'll import from the latest version of Mail.app without a problem.
    - If you can't live without Entourage's unified tasks-contacts-mail interface, check out Crm4Mac, which was, the last time I checked, on sale for 50% off.

Hope that helps.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I like Mail myself. It's not the best but does the job for me.

I was looking to see if you could export from entourage to mail and then from mail to thunderbird.

EDIT: I found an entourage to thunderbird guide here.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I don't quite understand the need for this feature?

Can't you just select "Mark as unread" when you open a message you want to come back and read later?

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep basically similar story to yourself. My M$ user data folder is around 2gb at this moment, and Entourage is so slow at times now.

Thanks TBI. Your da man (even if you are a cork boy) :D

6. justG macrumors member

justG

It's a personal preference, and a common one. If I'm using my arrow keys to navigate the contents of my inbox and the preview pane is visible, and I'm going from message 1 to message 10, everything in between is getting marked read on my way there. That's bleepin' annoying. There's no reason for me to have to go back and mark those messages unread when other e-mail clients give me control over when a message is marked read.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No I understand what you mean.

Ah well, Mail 3 may have the answer!?

You can send feedback to Apple (of you haven't already).

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It's a little i god darn it!

TBi