Email client solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jprint714, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jprint714 macrumors member

I've been using Mailsmith for years, mostly because it has great email filters. But it's limitations are now working against me, and so I'm looking for another email client. I'm desperately seeking advice about a new Mac email client (or a solution w/ using Mail and plugging) that will do the following:

-Work with my iPhone - in terms of replicating read and replied emails, as well as folders (or mailboxes). It's getting increasingly confusing to work with a division of different message status, and and replies on that appear in Mailsmith but not in Mail on the iPhone.

-Have a flexible system filtering and mailboxes that will enable me to automatically sort message, and will allow for some sort of replication of emails so that I can see the same message in an Inbox as well as in a designated mailbox (if such a feature is possible). It would also be great to have replicant emails existing in two different location, where an email sending can belong to two or more different projects. I would happily consider another suggested system…

-Have variable search options that will enable me to both cast my net wide, and narrow my search with greater specificity.

-Save drafts as one writes emails (to prevent against losing your work during a crash) in the way that the Gmail client functions.

-Set up specific alerts / sounds for individual mailboxes.

-Set up my system so that a specific addresses can routed to particular folders (regardless of whether one sends them to my gmail v. earthlink accounts).

Because I have thousands of emails in my current client, and it will be very tricky to set up a whole new email client (w/ all of the mailbox folders and filters), I want to ensure that I chose the best possible solution. I would event consider using Mac Mail with recommendable plugging that would enable the features that I've listed. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks very much for your help!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You shouldn't need much in the way of plugins to make Mail work that way. Smart Folders and Filters will take care of most of the needs. Herald will help you with the notifications (I believe it's customizable based on folder). I just recommend making sure that your organizational system keeps your Inbox from being too large, that's where the biggest problems arise with Mail.

jW

3. jprint714 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

Does Mail provide the kind flexibility w/ search functions that allow one to have broad and narrow searches? That's one of best features in Mailsmith...

And does it allow one to save drafts as one writes emails (to prevent against losing your work during a crash) in the way that the Gmail client functions?

Does Mail have the ability to replicate email? In other words, is it possible to have email filed into more than one folder in at the same time (e.g., in the Inbox and in a designated folder)?

By the way, I'd fully welcome any email organizational systems that you could recommend! Thanks!

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it supports full boolean search, so you have quite a bit of control if you know how to form the search parameters.

Mail itself doesn't offer this, but in Lion, everything is autosaved automatically, so should deal with that need. If you're not on Lion, Mail won't do this, however.

This is why I suggested Smart Folders. Instead of actually replicating the email, it can be displayed in the Smart Folder and the Inbox, without needing two copies of the message. Mail can certainly replicate email, though. The easiest way is to simply right-click on a message and choose "Copy To".

I subscribe to the zero inbox approach. Any messages that come in are evaluated based on whether I need to follow up on them. Anything I don't need to act on is filed or deleted immediately. Anything I need to respond to I leave in the Inbox, but at any given time, I try to make sure I have no more than 25 messages (preferably I don't want the messages to take up more screen space than will fit on the screen at the same time). This way I never lose track of things I need to take care of (in theory, I'm still human of course, so it happens more than I'd like).

jW

5. jprint714 thread starter macrumors member

Well, Mailsmith offers fairly robust variable search options. That's what I'm looking for.

I do use Lion, but have found that not all application will work with autosave.

That's duplicating, not replicating, though. To clarify, duplicates are two copies of the same file (in this case, an email message), whereas replicants are files that are in more than one place in the database (or email client) at the same time. In other words, a replicated document / file exists only once in the database but it appears in multiple places.

Thanks so much! Yes, I've read about similar approaches, for example in articles like this: http://www.asianefficiency.com/email-management/simple-guide-to-managing-your-email/ My one concern w/ zeroing out my Inbox is that sometimes I need to reference all of my emails to remind myself what I've received, who I need to follow up with, and who I'm waiting to hear back from. Do you have a solution or recommendation for this? Thanks!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Without having used MailSmith, I can't comment on how it compares. I just know it works for everything I've needed.

Mail does, however, hence my mentioning it. Only apps that have been updated for Lion will take advantage of it, but Mail obviously is one of those.

By that definition, Smart Folders replicate the message then. Think of them as saved searches. They're not storage locations, just viewing options, basically. I think they would meet your needs, but obviously I can't know for sure.

I just use Gmail's All Mail folder if I need to see everything. You don't have to delete stuff in the Zero Inbox approach, just file it away, even if that means tucking it all into one folder.

jW

7. jprint714 thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha. Thanks.

Ok, thanks! Score 1 for Mail...

Super. Thanks very much for the clarification... By the way, do you know anything about Postbox's smart folders / functionality? I've heard a lot of suggestions about using Postbox, and am told that the tagging feature sets it apart from Mail in terms of added organization and flexibility.

Anyone else have opinions about Postbox v. Mail?

Re: Gmail, I'm actually in the midst of trying to figure out how to forward my Earthlink POP account to another IMAP account - so that I won't have to worry about space overload (as I do w/ my Earthlink account), and so I can take advantage of IMAP functionality. But...I place a high premium on email security, and have grave concerns about Gmail's data mining. So, I'd love to find a Gmail-like solution, but with the added security protection.

Apart from that, I would still have a problem w/ this approach since filing away email means having each message go into their designated folder. That's great, and it should be that way. But sometimes I need to look at the full Inbox to recall what I received, replied to, and need to follow up on. Any suggested solutions for that? Thanks!