Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeyjoe9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
As a former Blackberry user, I've been pulling my hair out getting my email on the iPhone to work the way I'd like it to.
Here's the four scenarios I've tried so far, none of which really suits me.

1. Set up work (main account) as a POP account. However, for some reason, it doesn't download attachments. I keep getting "This message has not been downloaded from the server" message. I could live with the spam and w/o filters, but I need to view attachments!

2. Set up work account as an IMAP account. This allows me to view attachments, however, as soon as I download my email at the office from the server, all the email on my iPhone disappears.

3. Forward work email to Yahoo account. This is no good because you have to manually fetch your non-Yahoo email using Yahoo's web-based client.

4. Forward work email to Gmall account. I'm able to view attachments, but it doesn't appear Gmail fetches the email from the work POP account all that often, plus when I reply to a message, it uses my @gmail.com address instead of my real main account.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
IMAP is best. It should allow full synchranization between the phone and computer. The idea behind IMAP is that what is on the computer is also on the server. Any change on either end will affect the other. When you add the phone, its like adding another computer that can manage the account. Any change on the phone, such as deleting, will in turn affect the computer. Check the computer settings. Its not suppose to delete messages on the server after downloading. Maybe the server supports IMPAP but the computer is setup as POP.

joeyjoe9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Thanks, but...

You're right, computer is set to POP. I'm not sure if our mail server supports IMAP. Even if it did, I think technically we're only allowed to use POP accounts.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
POP is doable too. Try this: in the setting for both the iPhone and computer, "leave a copy on the server" should be checked. Now both should get the mail. However, let's say you get 5 new on the phone, but then read them, they will also appear as new on the computer. And vis versa. Also, if you delete any before the other one gets them, it never will as they are also deleted fron the server.

joeyjoe9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
I've set it up as POP, but for some reason, it doesn't download attachments. I get the spinning circle thing inevitably followed by the dreaded 'this message has not been downloaded from the server' or 'this message has no content' message. Only if I forward the email to gmail or use IMAP am I able to view attachments.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
I've set it up as POP, but for some reason, it doesn't download attachments. I get the spinning circle thing inevitably followed by the dreaded 'this message has not been downloaded from the server' or 'this message has no content' message. Only if I forward the email to gmail or use IMAP am I able to view attachments.

I am going through the exact same thing on my pop accts, work and gmail.

pode101

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
I have been searching everywhere for a fix, but to no avail. I have a POP account through my host, ipowerweb (does not support IMAP) and cannot veiw emails when on the edge network! Surely Apple discovered this through testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.