Email Crashes

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by grimfool, Aug 20, 2015.

1. grimfool macrumors member

After downloading public beta 5 my email crashes whenever I start it. Have sent feedback to Apple. Is there anything I can do to get it working? - I've rebooted several times to no avail

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If you can find mail database and smash it in finder, you may be able to give another try.

3. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I went to "user"/library/mail then deleted everything in that folder. Mail worked perfectly after that.

hope that helps!

4. grimfool thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I turned off the email accounts in preferences and then started Mail and turned the emails accounts on one by one and it stayed up :). It appears to be a problem with my .mac account as although I have my inbox and sent folders working OK some of my flagged emails (specifically red, yellow & green) are not available whereas the blue & purple are

5. arubinst macrumors 6502

Do you use GPGTools by any chance?

6. grimfool thread starter macrumors member

No

7. dhlizard, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Turning off the email accounts in preferences worked for me, when I turned them back on, the Mail.app stayed open. But as soon as I click on the unified "inbox" Mail.app crashes. I can, however, access each mail account separately.

But, I cannot view my "red" flagged emails (purple displays just fine) and all my saved mailboxes and contents are gone :mad:

Update: I finally fixed my mail.app issues using below listed website, see Step 2 and it was in V3 folder not V2 folder

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...by-rebuilding-and-reindexing-the-mailbox.html

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The email crash problem has continued in that when I select certain saved mail mailboxes, the mail.app crashes immediately. Because those mailboxes crash the mail.app immediately, the option to select them and select rebuild is not possible. I also went into library/mail/mailbox and reindexed, but that did not fix it.

Through trial and error I discovered I could right click on those mailboxes and export the mailbox (right click doesn't crash mail.app). Then I deleted the original mailbox (that I exported), then imported it back into the mail.app.
    Doing that to each mailbox that was crashing the mail.app solved all my mail.app crashes.