Email from iPhone using aliases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk3pt1c, Sep 7, 2008.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Hi there, I've set up two aliases on me.com for my mobileme account, which I filter to two folders on mail.app on my mac. I have synced the account to my iphone and it's synced the folders too. But when I'm on the iPhone, can I send email using these aliases or does it default to the main account? Also, if someone emails me at eg. alias@me.com and I reply through the iPhone, do I reply from the alias or the default account? If none of this works, would I have to set up a different account on the iPhone for the alias?

2. TheGeekNextDoor macrumors member

gmail saves the day for your alias problem

To setup your email to go out via another address for mobile me, you need a gmail account... seriously. The trick is to turn off the use of mobile me smtp on the phone and have it use gmail's smtp server. You do that in the advanced section of your email. Once you have it setup, you can "hide" gmail on your phone and the mobile me service will still use it's smtp service for sending of the email.

Gmail allows you to have a default account that you use to send email with that is not your gmail account. You set that up on the web. It is then the account that will be used when you send through the gmail smtp server on your iphone.

I have this setup this way on mine and my wife's phone.

Here is where you can find more details:

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/07/18/problems-sending-iphone-mail-through-mobileme-alias-accounts/

Bryan

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

this sucks bigtime! So I basically need to set up two new gmail accounts, huh?but I created the aliases to stop using gmail and have all my mail in one place... Seriously, this blows! :(