email from steve jobs about multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yojan2001, Jun 29, 2010.

1. yojan2001 macrumors newbie

Here is a response to an email I sent to Steve earlier today...

Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:24 AM
    To: Alain Bonacossa
    Subject: Re: apps running in the background - multitasking

You don't need to do that to save battery life. Trust the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 29, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Alain Bonacossa <XXXXXXXXXXXX> wrote:
    Hey Steve,

I find myself going to the dock often to close all the apps that are running in the background to save battery life.
    Is there a way of closing all apps running in the background all at once, without closing them one by one?
    Maybe a “close all apps” single button in the future?

Alain

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Since you have a dialogue going, maybe you should ask him if that holds true for the Mail app. Somehow Mail in the multitasking tray seems to have a direct impact on battery life.

3. Jestered macrumors 6502

Seriously? You actually emailed the CEO of Apple to ask a question like that? Hint for you.... 1-800-MY-APPLE.

4. outphase macrumors 65816

Mail.app has always run in the background. The task bar changes nothing. Mail.app has to grab mail at the time you set in settings.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Also, if you don't mind, ask him about how much longer we should "stay tuned" waiting for Apple to fix the reception non-issue.

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Stand closer to the tower. Trust the iPhone.

7. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

He's right. This shouldn't be viewed in the same way as a windows task manager - the iPhone isn't actually running services for all of these apps, but holding their state in memory in order to return to them via a "fast app switch".

Very few of the apps on your phone will actually be doing anything with the background capabilities they have (audio running, etc). It is the job of the people vetting app submissions that apps aren't unnecessarily using large amounts of resources on the background threads they have been granted via iOS 4. It is in their interest to do this, to keep battery life high and provide a smooth user experience.

8. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Yeah I have to agree with this. If I was him I wouldn't have responded. :D

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes, however, my iPhone 4 is draining battery faster than my 2 year old 3G would with all the same settings, and I have been able to improve that battery life by manually killing mail in the multislider tray even though it is still set to push and notifications are on. I have 3G, WiFi, GPS, Push Notifications, Push Mail all on, but BT off, as was on my iPhone 3G and I am getting decreased battery performance on a new phone. When I kill mail, my battery performance skyrockets to 1% drop on standby every 3 hours, consistent with the 300 hour rating.

10. yojan2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I completely trust the iPhone. I just don't trust my hands to be holding the iPhone in an Apple-approved manner at all times.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No it doesn't.

Only what you chose for Mail in the settings app affect battery life. For example, if you have push turned off and fetch set to manual, having mail in the tray does nothing to thebattery.

Furthermore, just because an app is in the tray doesn't mean its doing anything. Only certain processes run int he back and if your app doesn't use those processes having it in the tray is akin to having it in a list of recent apps. Those apps are just frozen, and unrfrezing it does not mean the app was doing anything in the back.

Killing it is a very temporary solution, because it will relaunch again as soon as new mail comes in, based on your push and fetch settings..

13. shakesfist macrumors newbie

I love the "trust the iPhone" comment.

It will never hurt you. It is your only friend. Don't call anyone, they don't love you like iPhone does.

My own, my precious.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My guess is that sjobs@apple.com is such common knowledge that Steve has a more private email for use on corporate communications and he probably has a team of assistants logged in on their "iPhones" (since sig doesn't mean anything), who respond via his signature terse responses so to create the illusion that the beloved CEO is actively communicating to the customer base.

15. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Funny, I've emailed Steve twice, but never got a response.

16. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

The cake is a lie!

17. diabolic macrumors 68000

Do you honestly think it's taking a long time? The phone hasn't even been out a week.

18. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I always wondered about this. Especially since it seems like he replies to quite a few emails. I mean, how many emails do you think the guy gets per day? It's gotta be absurd.

19. Jestered macrumors 6502

It's probably safe to say that there is a team of people that weed through the emails that go to that email address. It just baffles me that people actually think they're sending an email that Steve Jobs is going to read asking stupid crap like that. Since the OP is obviously a Windows user, I wonder if he sends Ballmer or Gates an email asking how to setup his email. Obsurd!

20. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Alian,

Since you have a dialogue going. Ask him how much longer we should stay tuned regarding the reception issue, and if Apple would consider giving a bumper for free to all iPhone owners that are having this problem.

21. headcheese macrumors regular

DING DING DING

22. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Jesus christ.

Why not email him about how to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard too? If you are going to email him, email with him a question only he can answer. not some basic tech support question all of us know the answer to here.

How about..

Why the hell does my "quick launch" bar have EVERY app on my phone? What idiot designed that?

23. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Get off his back... He emailed Steve and got an answer.

24. ignign0kt macrumors member

As long as the app isn't doing processing in the background, it won't affect the battery. It doesn't matter if it's taking up more memory, that doesn't even use any power.