Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
Hi everyone, a friend of mine who had recently bourght a new iMac was fed up with it freezing, so he wrote to sjobs@apple.com and a few hours later got this response, here is the email:

Date: 8 November 2007 16:12:46 GMT
To: MY FRIENDS NAME <MY FRIENDS EMAIL ADDRESS>
Subject: Re: Online Mac, Offline Lemon

This problem should be fixed in a software update soon. Sorry, and thanks for your patience.

Steve

On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:08 AM, MY FRIENDS NAME wrote:

Dear Mr Jobs,

I am writing to tell you that I bought this iMac with AppleCare from the Apple UK Higher Education store on Leopard Friday, Leopard is great, as is most of the iMac, however, it is suffering from the hanging problem which many other iMac users have mentioned on the Apple forums.

As a student, I cannot do my university work without my computer, therefore I rang up the Apple Store at Bullring, Birmingham, U.K. instead of ringing AppleCare because AppleCare will come and take my machine away. I explained my reasons to the Birmingham staff and asked for an exchange. However, I was very disappointed by the reply ,'Sorry, I am sorry we can't do that because the online store is a different branch from us.' Online store and retail store returns end up in the same place anyway, which is the head quarters.

I read a few articles on the Apple discussion forum and found a lot of other Mac users are having the same problem, a Mac user from Chicago who bought a iMac 24" 2.4GHz with the same problem had been offered an option to exchange it for a 2.8 GHz iMac. I am not asking for a upgrade exchange here, all I want is an iMac which works. This is my eighth Mac machine since my first iBook G4, and none of them have such an annoying issue.

It would be great if you could improve the customer service in the UK to the US standard and sort out the freezing problem for us as soon as possible. It would also be fantastic if you could organize an exchange for me.

Best Regards
MY FRIENDS NAME

P.S. I am going to the Birmingham Bull Ring tomorrow at about 6.02 anyway, if you could sort it out, an exchange could be done there.

If you dont belive me, can you suggest a way i can prove this further?

enjoy.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Jobsbot - what a hero.

Just parrotting the official apple line though,,,,

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Maybe that is why there is such a delay in the 4.11 and 5.1 software releases. Maybe they were throwing some 1.2 and 1.3 updates out there for us to see if that might be a way to fix the issue. I feel like the 4.11 and 5.1 updates will bring out the best in the ALU iMacs :)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hi everyone, a friend of mine who had recently bourght a new iMac was fed I am going to the Birmingham Bull Ring tomorrow at about 6.02 anyway, if you could sort it out, an exchange could be done there.

Yeah, Steve Jobs is going to call Birmingham and tell them to swap out an iMac.:rolleyes:

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
I just sent Steve Jobs an email about the Imacs. We will see if he replies.

did you give it a good title? apparently thats what he likes!!

i thought of 'Online Apple, Offline Lemon' for my friends, pretty good i think ;)

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
It goes to the Executive Service center Not Steve Jobs, the man I smell BS....thats not how the email are returned I have gotten much help from them and it always SJobs@apple.com

i can send you the eml file, but i dunno as its got my friends name and email written all over it.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
my friends iMac is freezing quite a lot, how many times per week are most users experiencing?

he has about 4 per week.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
my friends iMac is freezing quite a lot, how many times per week are most users experiencing?

he has about 4 per week.

Mine has frozen 6 or more times a day. Much much less now on Leopard. But still there none the less..

As for the emails to Jobs.. When I emailed, I sent it to both commonly known addresses. No reply from Jobs himself though. But Apple Executive Services did contact me first thing the next day.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Mine has frozen 6 or more times a day. Much much less now on Leopard. But still there none the less..

As for the emails to Jobs.. When I emailed, I sent it to both commonly known addresses. No reply from Jobs himself though. But Apple Executive Services did contact me first thing the next day.

Hrm, I wrote and never heard anything. No calls, no email. Nothin

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Correction, the reply came from Apple Executive Relations, not executive services.

caseydude

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I updated my imac with all of the latest updates for Tiger and now it freezes no more in Tiger,Leopard still hangs it though so for now im using Tiger.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
Hmm, i really want an iMac my self, but reliability in a computer is so so important, its anoying to have to keep clicking save, and restarting...

i hope the email was from steve, but it was so so text book, he didnt even say 'sorry for bad customer support'

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
UK
does anyone know if theres list of CEO email addresses, it'd be cool to complain to microsoft about crashing and seeing what they say about fixes!!

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
I am writing to tell you that I bought this iMac with AppleCare from the Apple UK Higher Education store on Leopard Friday, Leopard is great, as is most of the iMac, however, it is suffering from the hanging problem which many other iMac users have mentioned on the Apple forums.

Take it back and get a replacement. You could be waiting weeks for a 'fix' and I suspect that if it was an easy thing to sort, they would have sorted it weeks ago.

Most are perfect - mine's been faultless since August 7th - so don't sit back and write emails, go to the store and get a replacement.

An item must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. You're entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

texas2001

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
whoever the email is from, I got a reply too when I emailed today. I got a reply within like 30min of sending. Here's the reply (pretty much the same as everyone else):

"Sorry for the bug. It will be fixed in a software update released later this week.

Steve"

HA! It's always "later this week".

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
does anyone know if theres list of CEO email addresses, it'd be cool to complain to microsoft about crashing and seeing what they say about fixes!!

Steve Ballmer's is something like SteveB@.... well you know the rest

He mentions it in a youtube video I saw (he was at some conference)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.