email got hacked, what should i do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tipman2000, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

i already changed my password, what else can i do to be more secure? also, what could have caused this? i regularly use macs, but have in the past been forced to use a few shoddy pcs to send work from school to print... how could anyone have hacked me? i had a fairly good pass, it was a word, a few nonsense letters, and numbers, what could have broken that? :mad:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Where are the "shoddy PCs" located? Library, Internet cafe.. Someone probably used the machine right after you. Maybe even a key logger. Change your email password (and any other passwords you use)

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't use public computers, only use https login pages, "Logout" after you're done...

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Go into your settings and make sure that your emails aren't being forwarded anywhere. My girlfriend's gmail was hacked last year, and the hackers set it up to forward to a yahoo address they had made to look like her gmail account.

I know in gmail you can also view where your account was accessed from. Be sure to check that to make sure they no longer are accessing your account.

5. tipman2000 thread starter macrumors member

tipman2000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Darn, i wish yahoo told me where it was accessed from... I always log out when im done with computers... Btw, this looked like a bot, not an actual person. The mails sent said random words with caps on and were sent to the first 10 of my contacts... anybody know what grombot.net is? It had that somewhere in the header. Anybody else have problems with their mail being hacked? This is the first time this has happened to me.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Any password can be cracked with enough time. Use a service like Lastpass or 1password to generate and manage them, I started using it a few months ago and now I'm much more secure. Make sure you change passwords regularly too; these services can help you do this really easily.