Email Harassment - UK question.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SarahJane89, May 31, 2013.

1. SarahJane89 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My boyfriend received numerous emails supposedly from me. They weren't, and each time my boyfriend blocked an email, whoever has been emailing my boyfriend opened up a new account, sending him emails I supposedly sent out. Never was anything threatening, just very annoying and upsetting.

We reported the email addresses to the police, a total of 8 different ones. The policeman told us it was not a priority but they would investigate it.

The emails have since stopped - though I did get one earlier today but I didn't do anything with it.

I'm wondering what the procedure would be? Will the police now trace the email accounts to the sender, or will that be the end of it now the report has been made?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Just ignore them or/and create new email addresses. If they don't know you in real life then it's fine.

3. SarahJane89 thread starter macrumors newbie

He would have made a new email address but he uses it for work purposes.

What will the police do now they have the email addresses? Will they go about tracing each of them, or now the report has been made will that be it? The police weren't very clear, and they didn't take my boyfriend seriously at first until we told them we blocked one account and then a new one was made.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Unless they were threatening or contained illegal images, I doubt the police will do anything. They have limited resources and this is hardly going to be a priority for them.

5. SarahJane89 thread starter macrumors newbie

No they weren't threatening. Just annoying in volume, forwarding my boyfriend emails I supposedly sent out.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Most likely someone he knew got a Trojan or something along that way (he probably had your boyfriend's email address in their contacts file). He/She finally noticed the Trojan and killed it.

7. SarahJane89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't understand? :confused:

But in regards to what the police will now do, will they do anything? Tracing the email etc. Or will they just have taken my report and that's it?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Does your friend have a PC (Windows), if so it is probably a trojan/Virus and the police will do nothing about it.
    If it is, it is old news.

9. SarahJane89 thread starter macrumors newbie

My boyfriend has a Windows 8 computer. The emails he got came from different email accounts - 8 of them - and they were forwarding emails to him that I had supposedly written. It must be someone we know because they knew certain things about us, which is why we handed in the email addresses to the police. I just don't know now if they'll trace the email accounts, or if they won't do much, now they have them.