Email Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disco87, Mar 17, 2013.

1. disco87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro, and I am trying to set up the email app on it. I use gmail, but I can't get it to sync with my iPhone, so that when I delete a message on the phone, the email will also be gone on the Mac.

This is my first mac and I am really stuck on this?

Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you go into System Preferences, then choose Mail Contacts & Calendars you can easily fill the Info needed there, the Mac will do the rest.

3. MacKid macrumors 6502

Gmail cannot "push" the status of your inbox to your devices, so you'll need to refresh on your Mac and iPhone when you check your e-mail to make sure everything is synced.

You don't have to refresh after deleting or reading them, just when it seems like things aren't matching up.

Your Mac and iPhone will also automatically "fetch" the latest status of everything when you first open Mail, so you don't have to refresh every single time you open it.

4. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I have put in all the information in there but It doesn't seem to make a difference. I must be setting it up wrong, but I'm not sure where I am going wrong. I was also wondering if there was a way to get the email to push to my mac instantly, just as they do on my phone.

Thanks

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In Mail Preferences you can set the time when it checks for new mail, shortest is 1 minute, I call that close to Push.

6. MacKid macrumors 6502

Gmail is never actually pushed to your iPhone - your phone refreshes every time you open the Mail application. The same thing happens when you launch Mail on your Mac, but if you leave the application open it will only happen at scheduled intervals (which you can change in Preferences).

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to make sure you are setting up GMail in the Mail app as an IMAP account, then it will push as long a Mail app is open. Follow the instructions below from gmail.com. Pay close attention to the last part about not using the "automatic" settings.

[​IMG]

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Gmail does and will push when setup as IMAP instead of POP3, check your facts.

9. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to set up the account, but I do not se an option to deselect the automatic set up when I am in the mail preferences window, I know I am missing something obvious, but I am not sure what exactly.

Thanks

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you on Mountain Lion? I just added my GMail account as a test and if you just enter your email address and PW in the create new account boxes in Mail app it will by default set it up as IMAP. You will need to have enabled IMAP in the settings at GMail.com.

11. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am on the newest version of the OS. I have enabled it in gmail, this is what I see.

Attached Files:

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My earlier post was for the previous version of Mail. Sorry about that.

On Mountain Lion, just open Mail app and Mail menu, Preferences... click the plus sign like in my screen shot. Then enter your name, gmail email address and PW. I just tested that myself and it adds it as an IMAP account.

You GMail.com settings in that screenshot look good.

[​IMG]

13. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have added it in the mail client that way also. All im looking to do is if I delete an email on my phone in gmail or on the internet inbox for it to be removed from the mail app on the mac.

Is this possible or not?

Thanks again

14. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, it seems to be working now, thank you. I have one more question though, if I read the email on the mac, the notification for the email on my phone disappear or does it still remain? I think the problem was the email is not instant on the mac, but it only searches every minute which was confusing me.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

It'll disappear next time the Mail app asks the gmail server what's up, which is every 5 minutes or so by default.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have it setup as IMAP like explained, the OS X Mail app will get pushed mail and it will be received real time. My experience with iOS is the notifications stay on the screen until you open the iOS Mail app if you have notifications configured that way.

You are mistaken. With IMAP there is no "polling" of fetching at all. It is all pushed if the iOS Mail app is setup as IMAP or Exchange.

----------

It will be removed when you open the iOS Mail app next.