email hyperlinks in Address Book? Missing??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by paulold, Jul 23, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

Sorry for the very basic question, but I must be missing something. On my iPhone, if I am in my Contacts and I want to email someone, I can just tap on their email address to send an email. iOS will pop me over to the mail program and fill in the address for me. Nice, simple, intuitive.

But with the Address Book on my Mac (which now has Lion), my email addresses have no hyperlink functionality. The only thing I can do is highlight an email address, right-click what I highlighted and chose Send Message, which is something I can do with any word I highlight in any program. Is something missing from my Address Book?

It says in the marketing pages for Lion on Apple.com that you can "Start a FaceTime call from Address Book. Click an email address and choose FaceTime." I can't get this to happen for me. I went to the card for a friend I FaceTime with and I don't see a FaceTime option, I can't click on an address or phone number, and if I highlight and right-click, I don't see a FaceTime option.

What am I missing?

Oh and while we're at it, is there any way to alter the appearance of the Address Book. I don't really like the look of it (plus I wish it had Full-Screen Mode).

2. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

OK - I'm stupid. You click on the labels for the email addresses (like Home, Work, etc) to get the submenu that lets you send a message or use FaceTime. Why not the whole address? If you can't change the text unless you are in edit mode, I think anything on the screen should be a hyperlink. Any part of the email address, any part of the mailing address, etc.