Email is supposed to check every 15 mins, but it doesn't!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Jan 27, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I'm on my third iPhone, and every one that I've owned has had this same problem.

I set the mail app to check for new email every 15 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't do it for hours and hours, and I need to manually open the app and it starts checking again.

It's really annoying. Is anyone else having this problem?

If its happening to a lot of people maybe this can get enough attention for Apple to fix it in the next software update.

p.s. i use gmail imap and my university's imap as well

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

You're not the only one. I have a .mac account and sometimes it too will go for a very long time without checking... but as soon as i manually open, it receives email fine.

3. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

4. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I agree.... although my gmail seems to work better then my .mac in terms of autocheck. It's annoying, but its not that big a deal to me.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

6. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Its happened to all users as far as I know since day one (iDay). I'm surprised this problem has persisted to 1.1.3.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My iPhone checks my G-Mail IMAP about every 15 minutes. I do however routinely turn off the auto-check (to reduce the GSM noise on my iTrip), but after I've turned it on it checks every 15 minutes like clockwork. Perhaps cycling the auto-check resets something. I'd try it and see what happens.

TEG

8. ThePhenom415 macrumors newbie

I think the problem with the iphone is the same one that plagues most pda email clients - if the phone does an automatic check and there has been no new email for an x number of tries, then the phone stops checking automatically until you manually check again to get it going. My experience anyway.

9. Craigy Boy macrumors member

I find it too. I have my phone set it to check every 30 minutes, sometimes it seems to do that, other times it seems to go a whole afternoon without checking until I manually do so.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It was after a update it stopped working. It did work for a while though. I think it was 1.1.1 when it stopped.

11. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

probably one of the main concerns of those interested in using the iPhone for business needs...why is the lowest setting 15 mins? Is apple concerned for battery usage or what? How do blackberries download mail so smoothly?

12. ikare macrumors member

I have hotmail and it also does not auto-update and I too have checked the settings for every fifteen minutes, I should be able to slide the unlock button and have mail updated, kinda annoying

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Mine is like that too. Most times it checks fine. Occasionally it won't check all day. I gotta go in and manually do it. Been like that on my phone through every update. I got mine on iDay.

14. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

I have this problem with my yahoo account. Anyone else?

15. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

exactly, worries about battery getting drained.

blackberries use push tech for email while the iphone and most other smartphones use pull technology.

with push, the email gets sent to your device the moment it is sent, and the phone never has to auto-check for email at certain intervals (i think the iPhone only does this with Yahoo accounts)

With pull, the device checks at regular intervals through POP or IMAP to see if there's any new mail, so you'll never get emails instantly.

I hope in the future the iPhone becomes an all push device.

16. jeffmc macrumors 6502

all of you should reset/restore
    it's a software issue on your phone not with any of the service providers

17. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem... it's frustrating as it works fine for about 90% of the time - but will suddenly stop checking again.

18. ben5959 macrumors regular

19. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, but I found it resolved when I turned Data Roaming on. (Settings > General > Network) I don't know why Auto-Check mail would be indirectly tied to data roaming, but give it a shot to see if that fixes things for you.

20. Jsingh macrumors member

I'm going to try that out, I had to result to auto-check because push email was also pretty random.

21. michaelmcfadden macrumors newbie

iphone not as quick to check for mail as BBerry

Blackberries use either BES or BIS....a separate enterprise mail server or web mail client which automatically checks for and forwards your emails from your account to a separate Blackberry account email address unique to the invididual blackberry device. That blackberry therefore only looks like it is interacting with your email and getting it instantaneously, but youre actually paying about $25 more a month than the iphone plan to have blackberry check your email and forward copies of them to the **username@blackberry.net** address that is assigned to each blackberry device. If you choose NOT to pay the extra $25 for the blackberry mail forwarding, a blackberry will check for new emails every 15 minutes just as the iphone does.

22. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

What version is your Firmware? My Yahoo Push has been working great since either 1.1.2 or 1.1.3. It has been working so good for so long just can't remember which version fixed it.

23. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

dont a lot of imaps not work on mobile networks due to security reasons, swear i read that somewhere

24. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i noticed this as well, though it seems to be better since 1.1.3 and IMAP though gmail. it is annoying indeed. sometimes i go though school and work without it checking! though i usually open mail manually.

25. WarDogg macrumors newbie

WarDogg

This worked for me! Thanks!