email... is there a way...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dpace32, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dpace32 macrumors regular

So I have an idea that I would like to test out but first I need to figure this out... is there a way to automatically send a specific email (static to field/static message) when I receive an email that contains specific words?

IE: I would like to send a message to my backup gmail account whenever my ISP account receives a message with a specific phrase in it.

I am open on the approach to this... I could use Gmail/Mail/Automator/Thunderbird/Outlook, etc.

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You might be able to do this with Mail's rules. Check the preferences to see what setup options you have.

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Well, setting a rule to look out for specific phrases might be possible, especially Gmail filters. Though, I am using Outlook 2011 and have a rule set up where if an email comes from a specific email account, it backs up to a specific folder on my Gmail. I can change the rule from "account" to subject, etc, but not "message body".

I'm not entirely use that there is a rule on the popular email programs that looks out for phrases in body of an email.

4. dpace32 thread starter macrumors regular

it looks like gmail can label it, forward it, delete it, etc. but it can't create a new different message and send that one. hmm...

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Could you use GMail to label the mail and then set a rule up in Outlook for mail coming into the specific IMAP folder (which is basically how labels appear in Outlook)? I know it's a two step process, but it may work?