Email msg reappears after delete. Bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EvolutionXGSR, Dec 11, 2010.

1. EvolutionXGSR macrumors member

Hey folks. Annoying problem here that I've been dealing with for several weeks now and I'm finally fed up with it. I'm ready to throw my phone out the window.
    (3GS)
    Whenever I get email and I decide to delete it, it reappears in the mail program after I exit it and "(-)" it out.
    I noticed that after I delete the message, the little spining refresh circle appears up top for a couple of seconds while it checks the server for more messages. If you wait for it to stop spinning, then you can exit the program completely and close it by hitting the (-), then the message won't reappear. It only does if you delete a message and you don't wait for it to check the server for more messages.

Anyone know this issue? Any fixes? On the latest update and last synced it yesterday night and still the same issue.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The little gear in the status bar spins because the iPhone is telling the email server that the email has been deleted. It is not a bug, because the Mail app was designed to always be open and running in the background. It's been like this since iPhone OS 1.0.

3. EvolutionXGSR thread starter macrumors member

The message coming back after you delete it and then exit is not normal. I've had my 3GS since it first came out, multitasking since the day the update was released, and this is something that only started happening recently.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is very normal. If the iPhone doesn't get to tell the email server what has changed, it sees the email and downloads it again. If it just started happening, don't quit the Mail app (no need to on a 3Gs) or it could be the email server's fault.

5. Low Budget Dave macrumors newbie

No, It's a bug.

He may have explained it wrong, but the original post seems to be correct.

Every time I delete an e-mail from my iPhone, it reappears after a few seconds. It does not matter if I exit the e-mail program, or even if I reboot the phone.

It does not matter if the e-mail is still on the server, or not. There are two e-mails I deleted from the server two days ago that still show up on my iPhone. When I delete them, they simply pop back up right where they were.

When I talked to Apple, they told me to restore the phone to factory settings, which I did, (losing all my app data). This deleted the e-mails I was having trouble with at the time, but every new e-mail I get now does the same thing.