Email Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jparker402, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jparker402 macrumors member

Up until a couple weeks ago I had been running fine with Windows Live Mail (via Windstream.net) on my HP and Gmail on my iPhone. Then I got a MacBook Air, and last week Apple helped me get both Live Mail and Gmail going on my Mac. In the process, the Apple rep also put my Windows Live Mail on my iPhone along with the Gmail.

Over the last several days I noticed that mail would completely disappear from my iPhone and MacBook. Things that had been in the in box just vanished. Yesterday I "kind of" discovered what was going on. When my iPhone indicated I had some mail, I would select mail. Then I would get a notification that "Cannot get mail. IMAP.Windstream.net (or Gmail depending on which I select) is not responding. Verify correct account info in mail settings." When I clicked okay, everything disappeared from the iPhone and, I discovered on getting home, from the MacBook. This has happened daily for the past three days.

Spoke to Apple last night who verified that there was no mail for me on Live Mail, despite the fact that I could see it on my HP Windows machine, and that Gmail was empty (don't have that on my HP). They told me to get in touch with Microsoft and Google to explorer the problem. Google has no phone numbers and their web is a chaotic mess to me. Microsoft isn't in the office, and their web site is of no great value because I can't find anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am lost!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You have to learn there are two different email server settings, POP (older) and IMAP (newer). According to the Winsteam Email Server Settings That it is a POP email sever and that is why you first get the mail on one device another machine can't get it!

3. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

I did learn about POP3, but was also told that wasn't the problem. I get/got my email on both devices, at least initially until I selected okay to the message on the screen. Guess Windstream cannot become an IMAP; what are options?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Tell Mail to leave a copy on the email server using the Apple Support document Get help if you have issues using POP severs on more than one device.

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

If it's supported by Windstream, you can also have it forward all of your mail to Gmail and have everything handled via IMAP. I do this to backup my iCloud mail, since Gmail has quite a bit more storage for free.