Email Not Working on 3G or Edge, Works Only in WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, May 7, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

What has happened to my iPhone that now I can only get my email via WiFi and not over the Edge or 3G networks? I can't send or receive emails over my Cell phone networks!

2. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem. Did a hard reset hold both home and power button until the apple symbal show

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I was able to finally receive an email but couldn't sent one.

I get this message:

Cannot Send Mail

The connection to the outgoing server "SMTP.charter.net" failed.

4. urbanleopard macrumors member

urbanleopard

Suggest you tap Settings | General | Network | Cellular Data Network | Advanced, and make sure you have your carrier's APN settings correctly entered.

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I may have fixed it. I have the Charter SMTP server for email via my home WiFi. I added the AT&T SMTP server for Edge/3G outgoing mail. This seems to have solved the problem.

Funny thing is I could have swore I was able to get and send email via Edge/3G with only the Charter SMTP server before.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yep, Charter doesn't allow access to the SMTP server outside of your home network. It took me a minute to figure that out when I first got my phone. You can receive e-mails, but you can't send.