email notification - let me get it straight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vat, Jul 2, 2007.

1. vat macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My Nokia E61 is retrieving email every 30 minutes or so and notifying me every time a new mail arrived with a ring+vibration. It automatically chooses whether to go WLAN or G3 based on WLAN sniffing. It does so all the time, even if is in "sleep" mode (there is no sleep mode but you know...)

Does the iPhone do the same?

Thanks.

2. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Yes, except iPhone uses EDGE when it can't find wifi. You can change the interval of the e-mail checks, as likely with your Nokia. iPhone beeps+vibrates when a new message arrives, even in sleep.

3. vat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, does it also display a message or something? What does it say?

4. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

A small number (declaring number of unread messages) appears inside the e-mail icon on the home page. Similar "new message" indicator numbers appear next to voice mail and text messenger icons.

5. vat thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

...So, if you get an e-mail at 3 am it beeps? Any way to turn off message notification and leave on the ringer for the phone? I do this every night on my BlackBerry Pearl. In Profiles it's called Phone Only.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You can turn off notification for different events including new mail, new SMS, etc from the settings menu.