Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I have an iPhone but had to JB so I could receive email notifications every 1 or 3 or 5 minutes, etc. I can't find any threads discussing email notifications, but I watched a video and appears iPad same as iPhone, best is every 15 minutes. Can anyone confirm? I use for business and can't wait every 15 minutes to know I received a business email, and don't want to have to hit the icon all the time to find out. In conjunction with this, iPhone would quietly provide a sound, very brief, once or maybe twice and that's it, as I remember. Unless you were keeping your ear to the iPhone, you could barely hear it. Has this changed? If neither have, the iPad is not business user friendly and for the life of me can't understand why you have to JB iPhone or potentailly iPad for these 2 simple requirements. Until this resolved, unless I am wrong, or until we can JB the iPad, I will live with JB iPhone, as this is only way to handle business, at least for me.

Please let me know if I am mistaken or not. I don't like 3rd party email services running thru their servers, privacy issue, and usually costs, not sure all that dependable.

Thanks

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
There is a push feature on iPhone did you know that? And of course your email should support it..

So same as well on ipad.

I have 2 different emails in ny iPhone. One is exchange (office email) which supports push. And I'm getting email instantly.. Second is the gmail. Set as every 15mins since gmail doesn't support push yet.

I believe yahoo has push.

bob2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Push feature doesn't bring email immediately

When I first bought iPhone, yes push is there but you still have the 15 minute or 30 minute, etc to receive email notification. That's one of the main reasons I JB iPhone to add software, allows me to have email checked every 1 or 3 or 5 minutes. I may be wrong, but I remember between not getting email every 1 or 3 minutes the notification sound was so soft I wouldn't hear it.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
When I first bought iPhone, yes push is there but you still have the 15 minute or 30 minute, etc to receive email notification. That's one of the main reasons I JB iPhone to add software, allows me to have email checked every 1 or 3 or 5 minutes. I may be wrong, but I remember between not getting email every 1 or 3 minutes the notification sound was so soft I wouldn't hear it.

The 15 and 30 minute setting is there still for pop accounts and non push enabled imap accounts. If you have push enabled for an account that supports it you will receive the email as soon as it comes.

Works perfect for me with mobile me, haven't tried any other push services though.

bob2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Push Email

Yes, I have a pop3, so apparently my email provider ?? doesn't support or pop3 isn't supported by push, theefore I had to JB for it to work every 1 or 3 or 5 minutes. I just viewed MobileMe, and seems like that would handle pop3 and push to iPhone and iPad instantaneously, and also provides a sound?? and a mnotification on the screen??

It cots $99 a year, but if it does what I need and the new iPad won't, it would be worth the money.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Yes, I have a pop3, so apparently my email provider ?? doesn't support or pop3 isn't supported by push, theefore I had to JB for it to work every 1 or 3 or 5 minutes. I just viewed MobileMe, and seems like that would handle pop3 and push to iPhone and iPad instantaneously, and also provides a sound?? and a mnotification on the screen??

It cots $99 a year, but if it does what I need and the new iPad won't, it would be worth the money.

MobileMe through Amazon is $70.00:). I have an auto renewal through Apple so I have not tried getting it through Amazon, yet. If they can sell it for $70.00 and make a profit, so can Apple. But, then again, its all about the bottom line:(.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yes there's push support with gmail that you can set up for free. There's also google sync to, well sync your address book for free.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

bob2222 said:
Does MobileMe work as described?

I've never had a problem with MobileMe and the email push is instant. Very useful for syncing other data such as calendars, address book, bookmarks etc. You could always test if it suits you with the free trial.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I use two accounts on my iPhone: Mobile Me, and an Exchange account. Both work flawless. I use the Exchange account for all of my work email... and I auto forward all of my critical personal email to my MM account.

On my Macs, I additionally have some IMAP accounts for general email. IMAP keeps all of my computers synchronized so I get the exact same view into mail irrespective of which computer I use. It all works spectacular.

I cannot understand why some people stick with POP3. It is a throwback to the 80's.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.