Email On Apple Watch (For Marketing and Curious Folks!)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dukejl, May 6, 2015.

1. dukejl macrumors newbie

I work for a marketing tech company and we put out an overview of the Apple Watch and email piece today! It's geared towards marketers but I thought it might be interesting for those still waiting on their watch!

http://www.realmagnet.com/blog/2015/05/email-on-apple-watch/

Those that have the watch, how do you feel about the email client? I'm a bit bummed we can't reply using the stock app. I would like the option for a quick reply just like with iMessage.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

how exactly do you plan on replying to a lengthy e-mail using Siri when she doesn't have the ability to go back and correct errors? This isn't dragon dictation. It's Siri. If she doesn't get what you're saying the first time around you have to start over.

3. dukejl thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like you missed what I wrote: I would like the option for a quick reply just like with iMessage.

A one word response or quick reply with Siri would handle a lot of the emails I get. Not looking to create a novel reply on the watch.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I went to your link, watched the video, and it's still unclear to me what you offer and why I should care.

If you expect me or others to start clicking links in hopes of satisfying our curiosity, you will be disappointed.

So I'm giving you another chance: Why should I care? What is the problem statement? How do you address it?

You have a millisecond of my attention. Use it. Speak to benefit: my benefit, not yours.

5. dukejl thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you a marketer or curious on how email renders on the Apple Watch? That's the point of the article - the limitations / ramifications of viewing content on the watch. If it's not of interest to you I don't see the point of commenting. I'm not selling anything - my company put it out and I thought it'd be interesting to marketing folks and those curious about email on the watch (hence the title of this post).

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I'm in marketing, and also a user. And what you've posted doesn't speak to my benefit, either way.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

How many use cases can you think of where you would respond to an e-mail with an "Ok?". E-mail replies tend to be more lengthy than messages usually. If Apple adds a quick reply the next thing users would want is Siri dictation for e-mails and threads like "what the hell Apple? you let me dictate messages but not emails? omg fail!"

8. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I deal with email all day every day for work and I'd love the ability to use siri to dictate a reply from the watch. Certainly for a long reply I'd want to take out my phone, but I send a lot of emails with just one sentence (or even just a couple of words).

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

my biggest gripe is that you have to scroll to the very bottom of the email (unless you go into the mail app) to delete it. Also, a lot of emails have graphics that cannot be displayed.

10. sidebox macrumors member

sidebox

As a marketer... you should know that email should be put out to pasture. Apps like Slack paired with the apple watch are the future.

11. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I've enjoyed checking email from the watch. My only complaint is I can't figure out how to mark emails as read from the notification. It drives me crazy. I find myself having to mark as read from my phone later.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What I'm saying Brett is if Apple enables users to reply to an e-mail from the watch the following requirements need to be met:

- Dictation has to be enabled (quick reply won't meet everyone's needs)
    - Siri has to be enhanced to accept commands. Right now she only parrots what you say and does not understand things like "Siri, erase that last sentence".

I'd rather Apple not enable replies on E-mails than enable it half-assed and "somewhat" working.

13. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

While that would be great and make it a lot more useful, for me I don’t think all that is necessary. I’d be happy if they just enabled the same quick reply and dictation options that exist for imesssge now.

14. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Swipe left. Choose "more", next to the "archive" button. Choose "mark as read".

15. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Thank you for response. But thats from mail app. I mean when I get a notification for mail and you scroll down, there are options for Mark as Unread, Trash, Dismiss. Clicking dismiss doesn't mark it as read. I want to mark it as read right from that area.

16. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this kills me too. Most of the emails I read are from the notification and not within the mail app and many of them I know I can delete it after the first sentence or two, but I get a lot of long emails and it's a pain to scroll all the way down to delete them.