Email-Only "Mobile Me" Account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syrus28, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

There I was, staring at my MacBook screen, with the brightness cranked half way and 29% left on my battery. I stood (sat) there, staring at my .Mac account with a smirk as it dictated "111 days left on your .Mac subscription", not knowing its fate that was to besiege it in a few hours. I sat for a while longer, patiently awaiting the arrival of Mobile Me. Not to long after, it hit me. "I don't even use all these features!"

Sad, but true. I only have one Mac, so the syncing features are all but useless. The online storage, while nice, has never been used. The only thing I use is the email address. Furthermore, with the new iPhone only hours away (33.5 at the time of this message) I would like to take advantage of the push email. That got me wondering, does Apple offer an "email-only" account for .Mac, and maybe Mobile Me? I just can't justify $100 a year (no, not $79 either) for what is basically a glorified email address for me. Anyone else in the same situation?

2. The General macrumors 601

Just use Gmail. Surely they'll have push soon.

3. memesmith macrumors regular

I'm in the opposite situation, I use only the syncing, the idisk and the webspace. I have as many perfectly good IMAP email accounts as i want from my ISP, all with my own domain.