Email Problems (Same ISP)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LEOPARDIZE, Aug 4, 2009.

1. LEOPARDIZE macrumors newbie

Ever since Apple introduced Leopard I have been unable to send email to my dad he is on the same internet provider as me with obviously a different email address. The computer he is using is my old Power Mac G4 dual processor, I have just upgraded to the latest imac. We had the same problems when he had the G4 Powerbook and I had the Power Mac G4 dual processor. Any help much appreciated as I am sick of having to use a web email provider so that I can send him an email.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Can you give more information? Who is providing your email service? Are you sure you have the account setup correctly in Mail?

3. LEOPARDIZE thread starter macrumors newbie

email Info

The ISP that we are both with his blueyonder in the Uk run by Virgin Media.
    Account Information is set up with my email address in Description box and email box. Full Name box - my name. Incoming Mail Server I have put in pop3.blueyonder.co.uk
    User Name and password entered as given by Virgin blueyonder and Outgoing Mail Server has smtp.blueyonder.co.uk when I think about it surely it must be Outgoing Mail Server that is the problem, should I change it to smtp.myemailaddress@blueyonder.co.uk

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Give your email ISP a call and verify that the information is correct.

5. LEOPARDIZE thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just tried that even though I live in Scotland I get transfered to India and have to put up with some guy who hasn't got a clue which is very frustrating his answer was to change my password even though I had just asked him If I had the right settings thats when I said goodbye.

6. LEOPARDIZE thread starter macrumors newbie

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Can you send to any other email address? If so, maybe the issue is on your dad's email account.

8. LEOPARDIZE thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can send to other email addresses apart from people who are also on the same ISP as me that applies to my dad as well.
    I never had a problem with mail under the last apple system software it all started going wrong using Leopard.

9. LEOPARDIZE thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem solved!

After delving further into the Virgin Media web site and my web mail I came across spam on their site and I deselected it and then went onto my apple Mail and sent myself an email successfully so then I went onto my dad's computer and did the same with the spam and believe it or not we can both now send emails to each other and receive them.

Thanks to all with advice.