iPad Email problems with McDonalds WiFi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jungle, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Jungle macrumors newbie

Apologies if this issue has already been done to death but can anyone help me get email working on an iPad when using free WiFi at McDonalds. Web browsing works fine but email cannot connect either to send or receive.

A couple of forums suggested using secure SMTP and, to that end, I set up an account with Smtp2go. This connects ok on other wifi networks but not McD's.

The reason for needing this - in case anyone makes the obvious suggestion of just using other networks - is that I'm on a world trip and McDs is everywhere and is free.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

J

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe they have it blocked somehow?

When I have used McD in Latin america I could access everything though.

If it's still an issue I would use the email specific app like the gmail app or do it though safari and see if it works that way.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Use an online email client such as Yahoo or Gmail. McDonalds is blocking the ports used for email, bittorrent, etc.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Don't you get sick eating at McDonalds? Christ I can't eat that greasy ****.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

What email are you trying to use. Gmail, yahoo etc

6. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

What does this have to do with the thread? *facepalm*

OP they are probably blocking the SMTP port just use the online mail client.

7. Jungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful pointer. Yes, McDs are blocking the SMTP port but I was struggling to get a workaround because I use iCloud for email and Apple have blocked web access on the iPad and iPhone.

The workaround I found is to use McDs for general surfing when needed (albeit at the cost of eating the food!) and then in NZ, Telecom have had the brilliant idea of converting old phone boxes to wifi hotspots which are free. These do not block SMTP ports so I can get email in most towns. Sorted!

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

What about Starbucks coffee? Don't know if they are all over the world? :apple:

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

pretty sure they have starbucks inantarctica now

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They have at least two in Sleepy Hollow. I hear the Headless Horseman really loves the Pumpkin Latte.

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

[​IMG]