Email Programs - Which One?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DEXTERITY, Aug 19, 2007.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Greetings,

I currently use entourage, but the last update just killed the program.

I'm going to probably try to reintsall office, but everytime I do that I am never successful in importing my emails. I forgot the proper way to replace the new mail identity with the old one with all my emails.

I'm running it on a 2 x 2.66 dual core intel xeon mac. I know we have Mail as an option. And from what I understand Eudora is no longer sold.

Can anyone advise me on something else which is good. Is Thunderbird or Mail similar to Entourage?

Thanks in advance.

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I like mail. It's lightweight and clean. It doesn't have the 'power' of entourage, but for me it works very nicely.

Thunderbird is pretty much the same.

3. 66217 Guest

I find Mail a very complete and easy-to-use mail program. I would really recommend it.

And it has a very good integration with Adress Book. And hopefully in Leopard Mail is going to be a much better app.

4. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Don't forget that Apple's solution is to separate the three jobs that Entourage tackles by creating three applications that are tightly integrated. In other words, Mail for email, Address Book for address book (novel, huh? :D), and iCal for calendaring and scheduling.

5. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the feedback. I guess Mail it is. I've read a few other threads and the overall majority say mail.

6. npep macrumors member

Here is the problem I had with Mail...maybe someone knows a work around...Mail does not have the ability to bcc someone. I use this alot in my mass emails to various groups, but could not find away to do it in Mail. Thus, I use entourage.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

[​IMG]

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im sure this is the 3rd email app question I replied in past 2 days. so here is my answer
    thunderbird.
    and please do some search.

9. npep macrumors member

Thanks xUKHCx...now I may have to take a second look at Mail...

10. ascender macrumors 68020

I'm looking for something to replace Entourage as well. Just looking at my setup, I've got multiple mail accounts and need the program to automatically sort messages in to folders when they are received.

Does anyone know if either or both of these programs will let me do this?

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mail will do that fine if you setup the correct rules.

12. ascender macrumors 68020

Thanks!

I'm fed up with the bloated feeling of the MS Office suite and so far have been pleasantly surprised by iWork '08 so hopefully Mail will be as nice as that to use.

13. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

I use Thunderbird but it does have one irksome thing. It does not use Apple's address book. It uses its own, so you have to set it up with all your addresses.

14. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did my research lol. I read a few threads prior to this and posted a question on my own, practically everyone says mail. so that answers my question. and nice to know iwork is good. i was thinking of purchasing that. microsoft takes way to long to update programs for us.

15. ibook4a macrumors member

another vote for mail. although thunderbird is not bad at all.

I refuse to use entourage because its made by microsoft:)