Email push or fetch ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Onthelo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

Hey guys coming over from my dreaded blackberry.. i use to get email notifications all the time when new mail came in.. on the iphone what settings should i be using for my gmail and aol.. fetch or push ? ? any additional details.. thanks so much!

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

push.

and set up gmail using exchange and google sync settings instead of the built-in gmail shortcut solution. it'll provide you with real, honest to goodness pushed email instead of IMAP.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

^ Second that.

I was stuck with Hotmail POP3 for a while (horrid!). Changed to Gmail exchange/push and it is great. Easy to get up too.

4. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

You do know that Hotmail provides Exchange Activesync also? I use it. 100% instant!

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes, but it doesn't work on computers, only mobile devices right?

My biggest problem with Hotmail was having to open every message twice, one on my Mac once on my iPhone. I hated that, so I opened a Gmail account!

6. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

Gmail sounds good any extra tips for the aol.? Just set to push and I should receive notifications.. Tia

7. prairieboy macrumors newbie

With Gmail and setting up via exchange, how do you specify a different FROM email address than the actual Gmail account address. I use my gmail account to foward my work emails, but I want to reply using my work address rather than my gmail address.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

First, you have to have both accounts set up on your phone.
    When replying or sending, just tap "from" and select the account that you want to use, I do it all the time.

EDIT:
    Oops, I don't use Exchange, so I'm not sure that will work. Try it.

9. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I never thought of that as I check my hotmail via a browser when not on my mobile. :)

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Mac Mail doesn't let you set up Gmail as Exchange, which is why my desktop email is always lagging behind my iPhone.

11. xyz1534 macrumors regular

That's how it works with Exchange...