Email question concerning iMac and man (hotmail)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Franny4321, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Franny4321 macrumors member

I am trying to set up my iMac and not have to use the pc anymore. I have been using MSN (Hotmail). I have many saved emails on their server which I want to transfer to a folder on my desktop. I have googled everything I can think of but no answer. If anyone knows the trick to this, please help. Thx in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Turn on IMAP on your hotmail account and set up the account in Mail as IMAP. The messages should download.

3. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thx Miles 0, yes, I googled for an answer and browsed page after page. I am new to Mac, so set all this up can be confusing. MSN and Hotmail was auto set up when I downloaded MSN on windows. I did go to Mail (Mac) and look at preferences and account. I don't see how to change the Pop or whatever. Sorry to be so dumb about this, but I did not know that Mac was not as user friendly as windows. Who would have thought it? :confused: I am having to go to Mac Basics and Help section almost daily for some simple answers. And once again, yes I google first. I have parallel and windows 7 on the macbook pro, and find myself using windows more and more. Seems I may have bought the expensive mac machines to run windows 7.

4. Omi macrumors newbie

Omi

Hi Franny,
    Don't worry, you'll see how easy mac is soon.
    What Miles was trying to say is turn IMAP on in the hotmail.com preferences.
    Then when you do that, open mail and create an account with your hotmail. It will automatically download those emails onto a folder on your mac.

Apple has their own service that works automatically called iCloud if you want to check that out.

5. James Craner, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unfortunately Hotmail is not so Hot on the Mac, as it will not work with IMAP, it is POP3 only. Microsoft only provides IMAP support for mobile devices, and for its Windows Live Mail client on the PC.

Hotmail has a relatively low size limit for attachments, injects ads inside your outgoing emails advertising Hotmail, doesn't support IMAP and can't automatically forward emails unless it is to another Hotmail account.

Might be worth considering a switch to Gmail which does support IMAP. Or use iCloud.

6. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Years ago I signed up for Verizon fios and they gave me MSN free. So I have always used MSN for one of my email accounts. Now MSN is pulling out of Verizon business and wants to charge for their programs and email. They are already incorporated with Hotmail. It was not a choice I made. So now I have until March 1st to get my emails off of the MSN server. I have the MSN/Hotmail set up to open in mac mail and it works fine except my saved emails disappeared. I can open MSN in Safari and get to them thru that, but I can only do that until March 1. I figured out a way to save them, but they are saved in a .bak file which won't open unless I am in MSN. These are emails from my nephew who died and I WANT to keep them. I just keep thinking I am missing something that would do this in a flash. So far, nothing. Thanks again. I appreciate your quick help.