Email questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ticman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ticman macrumors regular

brand new to Mac and loving it so far. so much to learn

I did a search and couldn't find answer so here goes.

Is there a way when getting New mail that some icon shows that there is an attachment to the email before you stumble upon it when u open the email??

I like my emails to show by date latest to earliest. I can set that but when I want to delete some new emails without reading them, the cursor goes UP to earlier date rather then DOWN to older stuff I am scrolling through.

Appreciate the help and thanks,

Mike

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The attachment issue I don't think there is a way to know before clicking on the message if there is an attachment or not (I have to check Snow Leopard when I get home, only on Leopard right now). But even if it shows the attachment like a PDF, it isn't doing anything to hurt you. It won't run or execute anything. You're safe.

3. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really worried about virus but being able at a quick glance to see if any emails had attachments rather than wading through lots of emails.

Also still wondering about my second question and that was the order in which emails appear (I prefer latest date first) and the ability to delete them without reading them by clicking delete and having cursor go DOWN to earlier dates rather than up to the latest dates.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can sort by date by clicking the column header.

If you want to delete without reading, hold down Option and select multiple messages. The first one will always display, however.

There's no way to get the cursor to go "down" after you delete a message, but sorting by date should get the behavior you want with regard to which email you read next.

5. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I had already done what you suggested and kind of figured that there was no way to redirect the cursor. Guess I will just have to learn to do things differently--something I am becoming good at since getting my iMac 3 days ago and learning to not think like a PC. LOL

thanks again

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

In Mail have you gone to the View menu, selected Columns, and from the drop down menu put a check mark next to Attachments? This will give you a column that shows a paper clip when there are attachments for a message.

7. pooky macrumors 6502

Or you can just right-click (or control click) on the column bar (the thing with the From, Subject, Date Received columns) and choose Attachments.

8. ticman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks both of you re attachments. Now why didn't I think of that
    myself.