email rejected by server

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by paintgirl, Jul 3, 2007.

1. paintgirl macrumors newbie

I have Wifi at my home and when i connect to that I am fine. But my husband travels alot and is not always going to be connected to my Wifi. I have him set up on the edge so that he will always send through there. problem is that when he tries to send me an email, it says that email was rejected by server - why is this?

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Is this in e-mail form he is getting back? Or is it an error on screen?

3. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

error on screen - he types up an email, hits send. says sending message and then a blue pop up window comes up and says that the email xxxx@xxxx.com has been rejected by server. it keeps a copy in the outbox, but wont send while it is on the edge network

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Then is sound like the e-mail address is bad. Bad as in there is a space, improper symbol such as %, lack of suffix, etc. Verify it is absolutly correct.

5. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

it is absolutly correct. I even sent an email from my computer to the iphone and then hit reply and I got this error.

could it be a setting? do I need to change my outgoing server to the edge network? and if so what are those setting

6. kemper28 macrumors newbie

rejected

same problem here but sometimes it works and sometimes it does not... I suspect it is server load... Sometimes it may time out?? Just a guess. Does yours work sometimes?

7. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it last night before bed and the same emails get rejected and the same thing this morning.

acctually, it is only certain accounts.

we have our business/work email accounts which is " @357productions.com " and "@americanpaintballsupply.com" those are getting kicked out saying rejected by server. But my "@roadrunner.com" emails go through fine

(this is ALL on the edge network)

8. unity macrumors 6502a

Edge and WiFi are in essence the same. They are both a means to connect to the net. What e-mail service are you using?

9. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

my outgoing is right now set to roadrunner. that is who we use at out home office. but when he goes out down the road, it no longer connects to our wifi and goes to edge. when it is connected to the roadrunner here works fine, no issues. when he is down the road and it is connected to the edge network is when the emails wont go

10. qzak macrumors 6502

i believe this is just because your outgoing server is set to your ISP, so when it tries to go out and your not on that ISP, nothing happens.

i have this problem to. i have a .edu account set up and for incoming i have their server, but if your not on campus you have to use your own ISP for outgoing. so i set that, and when i'm on my wireless network it works fine, but once i'm on edge it won't let me send anything. same error msg as you.

11. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

so how can we change this? is there isp for outgoing for the edge network?

12. qzak macrumors 6502

i'm not sure. i know you can set up your accounts to just forward to like a yahoo or gmail account and then you can send and recieve your email through there.

i wish there was an outgoing edge server we can just plug in, but i don't know? anyone else?

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Most mail servers limit who can send mail on them. Sometimes it is ip based,sometimes password based, sometimes based on you checking mail first. I would try the username/pw route or else contact your ISP and ask them how to send mail when not at home.

14. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

i am confused. everyone is talking about passwords (not just on this thread)

Maybe I am dumb when it comes to this stuff so I am sorry if I come off as a newb. I am confused so someone please help me understand.

on my phone is a wifi on off button. the on is when I am around wifi I can connect to it. I turned it off because well, where I am located there is very few wifi spots around. I have it set to be on edge all the time.

my incoming server is set to recieve our business emails. my outgoing server is set to my home wifi (because sometimes we will turn on the wifi when at home and connect that way). but the majority of the time we will be out traveling. so we want to just connect to the edge service instead. I want to be able to send emails to my employees who have the same "@" address that I am having issues with but I cant because i am having issues.

I dont know where to get the passwords and what is the passwords for? my incoming is fine regardless what network i am using. i just seem to have issues when i am connected to the edge when sending emails.

15. paintgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

ok - i did a search online and found a fix. when i am on the edge network, my outgoing server is set to cwmx.com and I can send emails like a charm.

you can use your incoming for your normal email and just use that for your outgoing when on the edge network

hope it helps others.

16. unity macrumors 6502a

Ok, so this is an authentication issue.

On roadrunner it seems like you were using thier server to send from all accounts. Since younwere on thier own network, no prob.

Like i think you did, each account should have the outgoing server set to its own, not all set to one. So each account needs its proper outgoing mail server. The wrong way, for example, would be to try using the google mail server to send yahoo mail. Its a security thing to reduce spam.

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Glad you got it working. I have never turned WiFi off on my phone so it never crossed my mind. But I understand what you have been trying to do now.

Yeah clearly the problem was with authentication on the mail server you were using in one instance.

Just to clarify, almost ALL SMTP mail servers have some kind of security to limited unauthorized use to limit spamming. In some cases they do it by IP. I have seen some people run into this. If you have an ISP e-mail account it very well might be limited by your actual IP address of your home network/home PC.

In other cases, some mail servers require a username and password. I have multiple mail servers and mine all work this way. I essentially have to enter my mail username and password to send out any messages. This allows you to access the SMTP server from any IP.

In some cases some places will use both. It just depends. I don't know what the server is you got it working on, but as long as you got it working all is good.

I just was not following the WiFi account and the EDGE account. If I am understanding you now, you had two seperate mail profiles, and when you had turned wifi off you would use the edge one and vice-versa.

18. Portermiester macrumors newbie

i am hitting the same wall.

I put the outgoing info in for both.....smtpout.secureserver.net and cwmx.com.....and it wont let either work. Help.