Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I have to say, I am happy to see so much support from everyone here for mouse integration.

Because the last time that was mentioned, everyone was foaming at their mouths about how that was not needed.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Oh boy. I mean, I so disagree. I really think you're really wrong here.
No worries. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My comment is based on my 40+ years as a software developer... everything from Operating System development to User Interface design and implementation and everything in between. Software development is not hard... but it is hard work.

To look at the state of software and conclude "software is hard" is ignorant of the fact that "money" has to factor in to it. Although there is a thriving open software community, developing industrial-strength apps is a significant undertaking in time and talent... there has to be a financial benefit in the end because after all, we need to eat too.

If you're looking at things from the point of connectivity and expandability. But if you're looking at it from a 'getting things done' perspective - you can create profesional illustrations, videos, music, presentations, 3D models and animations on an iPad, you can also edit photographs profesionally, manage your business or render, export and publish your videos. I am yet to see a Chromebook that can do these things well - or at all.
I'm absolutely looking at it from a "getting things done". If you can't get things done with Chrome OS apps, Android apps, Linux apps, and Windows apps then I'm not sure what is attempting to be done.

I also think it is a bit myopic to think that the core of "getting things done" is video rendering. If your focus is media creation, ok, then the iPad is it for you.

Of course, if you think software is easy and it will just take some more software development to get all the required software on Chromebooks, then - sure, Chromebooks are totes the future, 100%, no problem. And that's before taking all the software optimizations into account (how are those Pixelbooks doing with, you know, with horrible lag and stuff these days - I mean, since software is easy?). Aaaand, even if they somehow managed to fix all that (you know, with magic - because that's what it will take), it will still be hard to match iPad in terms of hardware.

And, sure, Chromebooks run Android apps.... horribly. And these are mostly phone apps to begin with. Fortunately, software is easy, so any day now....
Your view of Android app support on chromebooks seems to be a bit outdated. While not perfect, there's quite a large number of Android apps that work and scale fine on a chromebook.

On the other hand, iOS is most likely one update away from these expandability options you mention.

It really depends what you care about. If using a mouse and plugging in hard drives is all that you value, sure, Chromebooks are there. If it's creating stuff - I don't see how Chromebooks are even close.

Look, sure, some people may find Chromebooks much more useful. I'm sure you can. But, for a lot of people a computer replacement means doing tasks that require serious software. And no amount of connectivity and expandability options will make up for the lack of it.
The largest functionality gap on chrome OS devices has to do with the active stylus. The Chrome OS and Android software that support it is sorely lacking at the moment... but Google has made some significant improvements with it going from Chrome OS 70 to 71.

You speak about connectivity and expandability as if those are the only things a chromebook can do. It can do the heavy lift of productivity work. I have more confidence that the missing pieces will be added to Chrome OS before the missing pieces are added to iOS.

Reactions: dk001

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No worries. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My comment is based on my 40+ years as a software developer... everything from Operating System development to User Interface design and implementation and everything in between. Software development is not hard... but it is hard work.

True, I only have 10 years in software development compared to your impressive 40 - but I am not sure we're talking about the same thing. Writing code is one thing - but writing good software, creating a good OS and good apps it takes much more - it is also design, psychology, following trends, solving user problems, etc. If it's not "hard" - why is there so much crappy, poorly designed software out there?

Software on iOS is good not just because it runs well - it's good because it's thought out well. Because it is designed well. And figuring out good touch-based software that is easy to use on a tablet but also powerful - that's really hard.

And yes, there's the financial component - sure. Maybe it's both hard and expensive. But the fact is - software is a buggy, slow, laggy mess on so many computers these days - and judging by all the Pixelbook reviews out there, it's really bad on Google's premium Chromebook. Because it's hard? Hard work? Expensive? Doesn't matter - whatever the reason, it will take a lot of time and effort. And that's just the OS. How much time before someone makes some great app like Procreate or Affinity Designer or LumaFusion or Cubase for a Chromebook?

And yes "video rendering" is not the core of 'getting things done'. It's a part of it. There's illustration. Music. Photography. Research. Rendering. Office work. Some of these things you can do on a Chromebook. Others? No way. So I don't see how expandability and connectivity matters to an artist or a music composer if they don't have the software to do their work on.

As for Windows apps - unless you mean installing Windows on a Chromebook (but that's a Windows laptop then) - you're talking about running apps with some virtualization and I seriously doubt these apps perform well. But even if they do, I doubt they were designed for tablets. Heck, that's Windows problem too. Sure, you can run Windows 10 on tablets, and yes, you can run an app like Photoshop or Maya on them - but you still need a mouse and a desk to work in them - so I don't see how that is "a tablet" at that point.

Also, if you're seriously comparing "Android apps that scale well to Chromebooks" with iPad apps - I think we are simply from two different planets.

So, yes, for general productivity, like office work - Chromebooks are cool, I'm sure. But that's, like, just one part of the many things a modern computer is expected to do. And everything else is non existent on a Chromebook. So those missing pieces you mention? On iPads, it's basically "better file management" and, I guess, something like Xcode/Visual Studio.... More 3D software would be nice, too. But that's it. On Chromebooks - it's a whole sea of missing apps and tools for a lot of people. It would take years to get where they need to be for content creation, and that's if Google was serious about it in the first place. I'm not sure Google even sees Chromebooks as anything other than office work / education / media and some light fun machines.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It's not 'just'. Software is hard. By that logic, iPad also needs just some more development to replace PCs. But the truth is, creating something that is good, optimized, polished, functional.... not easy. And I'm betting iPads become full computer replacements for a lot of people before Chromebooks.

Chromebooks are already full computer replacements if you actually know how to use them....Thanks:rolleyes:

Apple's iPad Pros should focus on being more of a laptop replacement since the tab s4 beats it out in being a laptop replacement with a fully useable file manager,mouse support, and DeX......plus all necessary windows office apps and google apps give you that full experience you need for true productivity on the tab S4; and for cheers it includes the writing tool (s-pen). So hey Apple ipads are not close to chromebooks as computers and not even close to some android tablets as computers or laptop replacements even with all of its so-called power thats not being used.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Chromebooks are already full computer replacements if you actually know how to use them....Thanks:rolleyes:

Apple should be focusing on being more of a laptop replacement since the tab s4 beats it out in being a laptop replacement with a fully useable file manager and mouse support and DeX......plus all necessary windows office apps and google apps give you that full experience you need for true productivity; and for cheers it includes the writing tool (s-pen).

If you define “a full laptop replacement” as a machine with mouse support, then, sure, I guess.

Tell me, since I need Clip Studio Paint for my work, where can I get this for the s4 or a Chromebook? What about my friend who needs LumaFusion for his video work? No? Well, I’m sure there are just as powerful apps on the s4 then? Or Chromebooks? No? But I need these for my “full laptop replacement”!

Oh. Wait. It has DeX. Oh, ok, then I guess you’re right.

What I keep saying - different things for different people. One man’s laptop replacement is another man’s paperweight. It depends what you need. But Chromebooks - and Android tablets - have a long way to go for a lot of workflows that some of you guys keep ignoring. Because mouse support.

Reactions: akash.nu

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
If you define “a full laptop replacement” as a machine with mouse support, then, sure, I guess.

Tell me, since I need Clip Studio Paint for my work, where can I get this for the s4 or a Chromebook? What about my friend who needs LumaFusion for his video work? No? Well, I’m sure there are just as powerful apps on the s4 then? Or Chromebooks? No? But I need these for my “full laptop replacement”!

Oh. Wait. It has DeX. Oh, ok, then I guess you’re right.

What I keep saying - different things for different people. One man’s laptop replacement is another man’s paperweight. It depends what you need. But Chromebooks - and Android tablets - have a long way to go for a lot of workflows that some of you guys keep ignoring. Because mouse support.

iOS in its current tablet version on the ipad, chrome OS, and even android has work to do to fulfill most needs or purposes. You are right...... the people who actually need clip studio paint will lean towards iOS but they are not the millions upon millions of people being targeted by chrome os for productivity purposes. Side note: I am caving in and will buy the ipad pro 512 gb pro 2018 sometimes this week. I use iOS for what its best at, mainly as a luxury tablet device that gets the convenient stuff done and for media. As usual, I still buy the products but I criticize everything and use every popular OS available in one form or another besides Apple's watch OS while my preferences lean towards Samsung and their products (the company that I give the fewest complaints to).

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
iOS in its current tablet version on the ipad, chrome OS, and even android has work to do to fulfill most needs or purposes. You are right...... the people who actually need clip studio paint will lean towards iOS but they are not the millions upon millions of people being targeted by chrome os for productivity purposes. Side note: I am caving in and will buy the ipad pro 512 gb pro 2018 sometimes this week. I use iOS for what its best at, mainly as a luxury tablet device that gets the convenient stuff done and for media. As usual, I still buy the products but I criticize everything and use every popular OS available in one form or another besides Apple's watch OS while my preferences lean towards Samsung and their products (the company that I give the fewest complaints to).

ha ha ha. So the pro in your case means professional complainer?!

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Sorry that’s a canned response. That’s been pretyped, they just took two word you had in your topic and reused them to sound authentic.

It could have read. I’m glad that our dedication to raising prices and our work on data mining resonate with you - we share your passion in these areas.

What data mining are you referring to?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well no one would really use these forum boards if they were not complaining, debating, or having a issue.......:rolleyes:

There is less praise than true issues/complaints here....thanks:D:D:D

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
iOS in its current tablet version on the ipad, chrome OS, and even android has work to do to fulfill most needs or purposes. You are right...... the people who actually need clip studio paint will lean towards iOS but they are not the millions upon millions of people being targeted by chrome os for productivity purposes.

Millions.... vs hundreds of millions on iPad. iPads can do everything productivity wise as Chromebooks (but, but, mouse....), but Chromebooks really can’t do anything outside office stuff. Content creation is almost non-existent. What about medical apps? Engineering apps? Science apps? My dad is an amateur astronomer - can he get Redshift on a Chromebook? Yeah, let’s take that example. Let’s say you’re an astronomer. How many good astronomy apps on Chromebooks? Now compare that with iPad.

Exactly.

The same thing if you’re a medical student. Or a doctor. Or a civil engineer. Or a physicist. Or a basketball player. Or a ninja. Or an artist.

Of course - if you’re a professional mouse user and owner - a whole different story.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Millions.... vs hundreds of millions on iPad. iPads can do everything productivity wise as Chromebooks (but, but, mouse....), but Chromebooks really can’t do anything outside office stuff. Content creation is almost non-existent. What about medical apps? Engineering apps? Science apps? My dad is an amateur astronomer - can he get Redshift on a Chromebook? Yeah, let’s take that example. Let’s say you’re an astronomer. How many good astronomy apps on Chromebooks? Now compare that with iPad.

Exactly.

The same thing if you’re a medical student. Or a doctor. Or a civil engineer. Or a physicist. Or a ninja. Or an artist.

Of course - if you’re a professional mouse user and owner - a whole different story.

Chromebooks do run android apps now and Red Shift is a 9.99 android app in the playstore (just checked :rolleyes:).....so think about that. The apps are there and are coming...especially because of android app integration. Chrome OS gives android developers more reasons to develop better apps.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Chromebooks do run android apps now and Red Shift is a 9.99 android app in the playstore (just checked :rolleyes:).....

Still a lot less than iPad, way less optimized for tablets and even less for Chromebooks. Why are we even debating this? It’s a known fact.

I have nothing against Chromebooks. They are fine for what they are. But we’re talking about computer replacements here, and you’re saying Chromebooks with Android apps is the way to go?

The apps are there and are coming...especially because of android app integration. Chrome OS gives android developers more reasons to develop better apps.

Maybe it happens. It will take quite a few years and no guarantees. I doubt it, though, because I don’t think Google is that serious about Android, let alone Chrome OS. Either way, I’m talking about now. No way a Chromebook beats iPad in anything but price today.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Maybe it happens. It will take quite a few years and no guarantees. I doubt it, though, because I don’t think Google is that serious about Android, let alone Chrome OS. Either way, I’m talking about now. No way a Chromebook beats iPad in anything but price today.[/QUOTE]

Full web browser alone on a chromebook and a file manager beats any ipad....more high end chromebooks are out now. With just several software updates, future chromebooks can easily be everything and more at least in comparison to a very limited ipad or ipad pro.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
But when I look at my iPad, I keep seeing the word PRO.
I cannot think, in this digital age of a professional that doesn't work with either large files, portable drives or some kind of backup system at a physical level.
It's certainly pro for art, which doesn't require large files or portable drives.
It's not really pro for anything else
I think it could be prosumer for hd video editing with added mouse functionality and some refinement to iCloud. I mean, you could somewhat painlessly push 5 min hd project through the cloud. If you are doing larger projects, I would not use an iPad.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Full web browser alone on a chromebook and a file manager beats any ipad....more high end chromebooks are out now. With just several software updates, future chromebooks can easily be everything and more at least in comparison to a very limited ipad or ipad pro.

Sure, buddy, sure. Because a browser can do everything. Basically, we don’t need apps when the browser is “full”. Good luck with that file manager on the not limited Chromebooks. You can copy files all day long, man. Just several software updates and the future is bright.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Cool discussion you have guys! As a Software Developer myself I find to be in between all of you :).

Millions.... vs hundreds of millions on iPad. iPads can do everything productivity wise as Chromebooks (but, but, mouse....), but Chromebooks really can’t do anything outside office stuff.

I can't talk about Chromebooks as I don't have it. There a lot of iOS apps so yes in theory you can find more apps in iOS that suits your need compared to Android tablet. I agree with that, but the lack of files managements for me hinders any iOS app and as a result I cannot be productive the way I am using computer.

People are saying you have to get to used to iOS. Um no. I won't change my workflow to accommodate to iOS. Apple will have to develop iOS to accommodate to the needs of its end users. Until this happens people like me (and others in this thread) would never see an iPad Pro as anything more than media consumption device and digital notebook.

Content creation is almost non-existent. What about medical apps? Engineering apps? Science apps? My dad is an amateur astronomer - can he get Redshift on a Chromebook? Yeah, let’s take that example. Let’s say you’re an astronomer. How many good astronomy apps on Chromebooks? Now compare that with iPad.

As a Software Engineer actually I would have never used iPad for university. No change in hell. That thing cannot do 10 % of what I needed as a student. I cannot write Java code, I cannot 3D studio or Solid works or Autocad, I cannot UML diagrams, I cannot run semantic web applications, I cannot create SQL databases. So just like the iPad helps some (you mentioned great cases) it does not help at all for Software Developers. Same if I have to create a lot of Word documents or powerpoint. iOS sucks with text editing and typing in general. It's PITA. Like seriously. I get crazy trying to edit something in iOS. Apple really needs to rethink this because I cannot use this device even for simple emails or chats. I spent more time wondering on who exactly came up with this awful solution than actually doing what I am supposed to do.

It's more than that. There are cases that are not covered by iPad like batch processing of raw photos, Software Development, Microsoft office suite usage in general.

As for the people that say that they cannot edit video without Lumafusion or cannot produce music without some iOS app. Windows, macOS and Linux exists way more than iOS. There are apps for those kind of stuff for those operating system as well. It's OK that you have preference over the iOS apps. There are people that are on the opposite end though. They prefer their desktop apps because they find them more useful and more productive. For me productivity means being able to do as fast as possible the things I need to do. That is not the case when it comes to iPad. Quite often the drawbacks of iOS itself slow me down. Every time I have to open a file in one app and then share it in another instead of just going directly to the files system and open the file in the app I want it is a waste of time for me. Every time I have to delete a sentence I have written and rewrite it again because I cannot edit it is a waste of time. Every time I have to connect my iPad to the computer via iTunes and start working it (seriously dislike iTunes) is a waste of time for me.

To not waste my time I obviously don't use the iPad for productivity that much. This way I can minimize those annoying cases. And I just don't use the iPad for typing.

Yes there are things that I would do on iPad - writing down. I love to use it as a digital notebook and it's not something most laptops currently can offer me. However that's the main thing I use the iPad for. I don't see it as a pro device because unfortunately iOS does not cover my case. And for people like me unfortunately iOS is like years behind on what I need. This does not mean that there are not people that could be near 100 % productive on iPad. I respect that, but people should also accept iOS drawbacks and understand that for certain people those are deal breakers.

Reactions: dk001

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Cool discussion you have guys! As a Software Developer myself I find to be in between all of you :).

I can't talk about Chromebooks as I don't have it. There a lot of iOS apps so yes in theory you can find more apps in iOS that suits your need compared to Android tablet. I agree with that, but the lack of files managements for me hinders any iOS app and as a result I cannot be productive the way I am using computer.

People are saying you have to get to used to iOS. Um no. I won't change my workflow to accommodate to iOS. Apple will have to develop iOS to accommodate to the needs of its end users. Until this happens people like me (and others in this thread) would never see an iPad Pro as anything more than media consumption device and digital notebook.

As a Software Engineer actually I would have never used iPad for university. No change in hell. That thing cannot do 10 % of what I needed as a student. I cannot write Java code, I cannot 3D studio or Solid works or Autocad, I cannot UML diagrams, I cannot run semantic web applications, I cannot create SQL databases. So just like the iPad helps some (you mentioned great cases) it does not help at all for Software Developers. Same if I have to create a lot of Word documents or powerpoint. iOS sucks with text editing and typing in general. It's PITA. Like seriously. I get crazy trying to edit something in iOS. Apple really needs to rethink this because I cannot use this device even for simple emails or chats. I spent more time wondering on who exactly came up with this awful solution than actually doing what I am supposed to do.

It's more than that. There are cases that are not covered by iPad like batch processing of raw photos, Software Development, Microsoft office suite usage in general.

As for the people that say that they cannot edit video without Lumafusion or cannot produce music without some iOS app. Windows, macOS and Linux exists way more than iOS. There are apps for those kind of stuff for those operating system as well. It's OK that you have preference over the iOS apps. There are people that are on the opposite end though. They prefer their desktop apps because they find them more useful and more productive. For me productivity means being able to do as fast as possible the things I need to do. That is not the case when it comes to iPad. Quite often the drawbacks of iOS itself slow me down. Every time I have to open a file in one app and then share it in another instead of just going directly to the files system and open the file in the app I want it is a waste of time for me. Every time I have to delete a sentence I have written and rewrite it again because I cannot edit it is a waste of time. Every time I have to connect my iPad to the computer via iTunes and start working it (seriously dislike iTunes) is a waste of time for me.

To not waste my time I obviously don't use the iPad for productivity that much. This way I can minimize those annoying cases. And I just don't use the iPad for typing.

Yes there are things that I would do on iPad - writing down. I love to use it as a digital notebook and it's not something most laptops currently can offer me. However that's the main thing I use the iPad for. I don't see it as a pro device because unfortunately iOS does not cover my case. And for people like me unfortunately iOS is like years behind on what I need. This does not mean that there are not people that could be near 100 % productive on iPad. I respect that, but people should also accept iOS drawbacks and understand that for certain people those are deal breakers.

Good post, and I’m not saying iPads are ready to replace computers for a lot of people. But we were talking about Chromebooks. You can’t run 3D Studio or Autocad on Chromebooks either. Also, I doubt you can do batch processing of RAW photos on Chromebooks. But my bet is - iPad will get some good 3D/CAD apps before Chromebooks do. So, it’s one thing to say an iPad can’t replace your PC or Mac. Hey, I use my Macs daily and can’t do without them!

But Chromebooks? Those are somehow closer to PC replacements than iPads?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Good post, and I’m not saying iPads are ready to replace computers for a lot of people. But we were talking about Chromebooks. You can’t run 3D Studio or Autocad on Chromebooks either. Also, I doubt you can do batch processing of RAW photos on Chromebooks. But my bet is - iPad will get some good 3D/CAD apps before Chromebooks do. So, it’s one thing to say an iPad can’t replace your PC or Mac. Hey, I use my Macs daily and can’t do without them!

But Chromebooks? Those are somehow closer to PC replacements than iPads?

They key point here is running Windows on Chrome OS and how it works. Like you said - it could be really slow. I don't know as I don't use it. The fact is that the apps I mentioned can be run on Windows. Now the question is how efficient Chromebooks are in running Windows. If they are like you said slow it's irrelevant that they can run Windows apps you know. If they are efficient then it's a different matter.

Another key point for every individual is how much you use iPad as a true tablet and how much you use it as a portable device that can replace laptop on some level. I perfectly understand why people are saying that iPad is the best tablet and no Android tablet or Surface Pro can come close to that. The thing is I don't care as I don't use the iPad as a true tablet. I have never had the need for a classical tablet. I use the iPad as a digital notebook and that can be easily covered by other tablets to some extent (Samsung and Surface are not that behind on that point). So if you have people like me that use the iPad for a very specific niche need then it's easy to find substitute.

For people that use iPads in 80 % of their time I don't think that this will happen. It means that those people really can work with iOS and use it to its potential fully. And that is great. In the end of they day maybe that will happen. People like you will accommodate almost fully to an iPad workflow. And people like me and some others will find something else that covers their specific needs.

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Omg if ipad can read and write external drives it will be killer for me.
But I don’t think so, because then people will just buy the 64gb and just use an external hard disk to store contents.

And the way he mentioned privacy makes me doubtful.

I really applaud apple for introducing files app though and make it very easy to access cloud storages, I have 5 free cloud storages by now lol so having those in one place is really nice... last time I left apple, it wasn’t like this so I don’t really have any complaints. But accessing external storages within the files app would be nice, killler even.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Omg if ipad can read and write external drives it will be killer for me.
But I don’t think so, because then people will just buy the 64gb and just use an external hard disk to store contents.

In some cases this will be true but a lot of cases, you will still need the local storage e.g. if I want to edit a large 4k video in Lumafusion. I could plug in an external drive with all the footage on it but I would still need to import that into the iPad to edit and create my final movie. If the 64GB wasn't enough for me before, this would still be the case.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
In some cases this will be true but a lot of cases, you will still need the local storage e.g. if I want to edit a large 4k video in Lumafusion. I could plug in an external drive with all the footage on it but I would still need to import that into the iPad to edit and create my final movie. If the 64GB wasn't enough for me before, this would still be the case.

Agree with this. IMO people would buy only 64 GB if iPad had micro sd card. Then you might have a reason to not go beyond that. Connecting to external storage devices is something different. For me personally iPad's huge plus is portability. I would not want to carry around with me the iPad and the external drive.

I more agree with others that said that having such connectivity would make them get bigger iPads because they will be able to import big files from external storage without relying on Internet.

Reactions: Donka

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Then maybe it’s just in my circle, I draw and drawings don’t take much space so given the ipad price, 64gb is enough but sometimes I was worried if it’s not enough in the long run and I’ve considered the bigger size but ended up with 64gb though. This train of thought is what made fellow artist get ipads with bigger storage so it will be enough just in case. If they allow read and write to external harddisk however, I, and many people in my circle will definitely buy the 64gb one without any second thought.

If people edit videos and/or work with any other file types where a single file can go over hundreds of MBs and a couple GBs, I can see they need a bigger storage to actually work with the iPad back and forth. Sometimes I forgot IPP isn’t just marketed to artists.

Reactions: dk001 and secretk

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Then maybe it’s just in my circle, I draw and drawings don’t take much space so given the ipad price, 64gb is enough but sometimes I was worried if it’s not enough in the long run and I’ve considered the bigger size but ended up with 64gb though. This train of thought is what made fellow artist get ipads with bigger storage so it will be enough just in case. If they allow read and write to external harddisk however, I, and many people in my circle will definitely buy the 64gb one without any second thought.

For smaller files then you already have that option today with iCloud and other cloud providers such as Dropbox. There are also loads of lightning flash drives available which have their accompanying app on the app store to offer external drive support - granted it is not as seamless same as native iOS external drive support and the drive performance can vary.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I’m sure if they enable external storage options, it will roughly just be a limited read only with copy permissions to and fro, but not allow a direct opening/mounting itself.

I’m more interested in saving and opening local data into any app without having to copy it to an app sub folder every time.

You can currently already get external storage drives on anything with lighting for quite awhile, but it uses again a third party app to manage the cloning method Apple uses to share files between apps.

I think any file management can still be secure; if Apple created a unified containered file system that can just open the file directly into the app, without a cloning.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My 3 items on the iPad wish list are the following:
1) External Hard drive support (Most important)
2) Multiple accounts (Nice to have)
3) Mouse support (Nice to have)

One minor complaint is the keyboard doesn't have the Esc key. When I log into Linux machines, I have to use the on screen Esc key on the screen and I use `vi` a lot that requires the Esc key.

The sad part is with request # 1 above is that Samsung and Leap/Leaf have implemented this with their iOS app for both iPhone and iPad on lightning port. Of course you need to download their app first so I just don’t get how each have an app that aoonplishes expertas drive access using their own app following guidelines and yet ...

Oh yeah it’s cause their devices pay for the licensing for lightning port! Aaaah of course royalties! We all know the capability of is both tissue but greed.

2 - not sure the reason for shared account on what still is heavily used or perceived as a personal device especially with the cost of it (handing it outside your family).

I get some access to not interfere with your own apps browser etc yet isn’t that what with a limited mode use is for that was implemented a while back? Oh well I’m sure a really well defined use case for a “limited user” can be debated here.

3 if not just any mouse support why not at least at first launch Magic Mouse/Trackpad 3 with W2 chips therein. Pair once, and with iCloud multiple use across an Apple fanboy or multiple Apple device owners products! Then license the chip use and implementation to trusted long time partners like Logi. Hmmm. I’m sure there are many users with ergonomic needs or handicaps that MUST have alternatives.

I’m sorry inking someone that suffers what Hawkins has yet has much better use/dexterity of one hand could hugely benefit with a tablet and ergo mouse in a wheelchair or home crises a laptop and external mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.