Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't believe there is a limit, but I think you would be better off just making one rule then have multiple entries in that rule like in my example here.

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 7.48.30 AM.png

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I have been trying to create a rule that moves messages in the Junk Mail folder back to my inbox. Don't want to use Junk mail but when I disable Junk mail filtering OR check for Junk mail to go back in my inbox neither work.

When I set a rule to move from Junk Mail Folder back to my inbox that doesn't work and mail continues to remain in the Junk folder.

Is there a way to write a rule that accomplishes this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been trying to create a rule that moves messages in the Junk Mail folder back to my inbox. Don't want to use Junk mail but when I disable Junk mail filtering OR check for Junk mail to go back in my inbox neither work.

When I set a rule to move from Junk Mail Folder back to my inbox that doesn't work and mail continues to remain in the Junk folder.

Is there a way to write a rule that accomplishes this?
Mail rules only run as the mail messages come in, so if you already have messages in the junk folder, the rule will not automatically move them since they have already been received. What you would have to do is manually run the rule from the Mail menu then it should work.

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 7.58.10 AM.png

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
OK, finally had a chance to work on this again and still can't get the rule to work automatically.

Here is the way I set it up:

Screenshot 2016-05-24 10.13.04.png

I've tried a couple different set ups and they work if I select the messages in the Junk Mail folder, then hit Apply Rules. That works, but nothing I've tried works automatically anytime Junk Mail arrives in the JM folder.

Any suggestions appreciated..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK, finally had a chance to work on this again and still can't get the rule to work automatically.

Here is the way I set it up:

I've tried a couple different set ups and they work if I select the messages in the Junk Mail folder, then hit Apply Rules. That works, but nothing I've tried works automatically anytime Junk Mail arrives in the JM folder.

Any suggestions appreciated..
As I think about it, I believe the problem there is the messages are not marked as junk until AFTER they are received by the Mail app, and by then rule of course does not run. It is the Mail app itself marking them as junk as they are received.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Have you tried the first option, Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my inbox, under When junk mail arrives?

View attachment 632743

Yes, but that has no effect. They still stay in the JM Folder.
[doublepost=1464106194][/doublepost]
As I think about it, I believe the problem there is the messages are not marked as junk until AFTER they are received by the Mail app, and by then rule of course does not run. It is the Mail app itself marking them as junk as they are received.

That is correct. Nothing is marked as Junk. One of the selections I tried on the pull down was Every Message. That didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.