Email sending on Edge but not WiFi - why??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by junkyardmessiah, Jul 3, 2007.

1. junkyardmessiah macrumors newbie

First email problem:

I am able to send and recieve email via Edge, using a POP earthlink account. I use cwmx.com as the "outgoing" server. However, when I switch to WiFi, I am able to recieve email but NOT able to send it. Should I be using something other than "cmwx.com"? Something that works with both WiFi and Edge?

Second email problem:

I can only access my primary earthlink email account...not my second one. I cannot send or recieve mail, using any combination of servers/usernames/passwords that worked on the primary account. What am I doing wrong?:(

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Well, on the first issue, your ISP that are using via your WiFI link may be blocking outgoing SMTP traffic. Can you send mail via SMTP from other computers on that same internet connection?

3. junkyardmessiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am using my laptop and a desk top (macs) on the same WiFi network (I'm at work!) -- and can send email.

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

OK, and I assume that using Mail.app and the same earthlink account?

You might want to double check the account settings in Mail.app on your working Mac and just make sure it's identical on the phone.

5. junkyardmessiah thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Microsoft Entourage, not mail -- perhaps that is part of the problem, too.

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Well, is entourage using IMAP and SMTP also?

It might be worth your while to set this up in Mail.app on your Mac and see how that goes first.

7. junkyardmessiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, I'll try that! :)