Email Services

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by afro-ninja, Aug 30, 2013.

?

Which email do you use?

1. Gmail

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Hotmail/Outlook

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Yahoo!

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Other

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. afro-ninja, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

afro-ninja macrumors member

Dear knowledgable people,

I'd love to know which free email services you use and your reasons for it - especially if you've used more than one and are from a better place to judge.

I've been using hotmail all my life (yes, I know, shock horror etc - don't blame me, my brother set it up for me when I was like 8 years old...). It's recently transformed into Outlook which I think is quite good, but it doesn't work well natively on a Mac and I really don't like that.

The main ones (that I know) are Gmail, Yahoo!, Hotmail/Outlook, and I'd appreciate knowing why you use what you use.
    [Bonus points if it fully works well in Mail]

-J :apple:

EDIT: I understand that many of the "Other" votes in the poll are for iCloud. I underestimated its popularity (despite this being an Apple forum, silly me...). I assume I cannot edit polls as I can't figure out how to, so this is just FYI.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Office365 -- mainly due to pricing and offerings for hosted Exchange.

3. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

I have my primary email addresses with my local ISP, or I should say had. They contracted them over to gmail this past year. The ISP assures me that Google does not scan these contracted email accounts like they do the ones actually placed with gmail.

4. scbond macrumors 6502

Private domain email, GMail and MobileMe/iCloud. I also have one hosted through Office365 for university. I use all of them currently, especially the one through my private domain.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Free email service wise I primarily use iCloud (used it while it was .Mac and MobileMe as well), it's worked well for me for many years now and works perfectly with Mail and other email clients.

I have a couple of Gmail accounts but don't use them as they don't seem to play as nice with email clients, and I don't like the web interface.

I have an Outlook/Live account but it doesn't support IMAP so I don't use it.

Additionally I have a couple of university based emails and a couple of domains with their own email service.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use iCloud as my primary email address. My other major addresses are forwarded to iCloud. They include my local ISP and my college alumni address.

The iCloud address works well with mail on my MBP, iPhone, and iPad.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Gmail, but now that they don't support PUSH without their lousy app, I'm considering a switch. If Outlook supported IMAP, I'd switch to them.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have a few through my ISP provider that I use and a couple through my domain provider that I use.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I voted before I read your post. What I use isn't free anymore.

10. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

for personal i was use Gmail and Google Apps with my own domain

11. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Been using Thunderbird for quite while now...I don't like Apple's offering, and Outlook for Mac is bug ridden.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I use iCloud. All of our family's computers, phones, & tablets are all Apple branded, so the iCloud accounts tie in the most seamlessly.

13. Bear macrumors G3

iCloud mail works well in Apple Mail. And that should've been included in the choices as I bet most of the "Other" response is iCloud.

Thunderbird only says what mail software you're using, not your mail provider.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iCloud for me. I have gmail, and others but they're dormant, I only use iCloud

OP, I'm surprised you didn't add iCloud since you're posting on an Apple forum.

15. afro-ninja thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the replies.
    My error - I forgot about iCloud! Apologies. I underestimated its use.
    Is the 5GB of storage - that's shared with iPhone backups - not a problem for you?

16. Bear macrumors G3

I actually back up my iOS devices to my Mac with iTunes so 5GB is currently more than enough for me in iCloud.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I use my account for everything and backup both my iPhone and iPad and I use about 4.1GB of the 5GB total.

18. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I have several Gmail accounts that I use on a daily basis, but they all get forwarded to my iCloud account for easy device syncing and push notifications. Only occasionally do I actually use my iCloud account to send emails.

19. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

20. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Fastmail (www.fastmail.fm)

Have used them for about 8 years and am very happy. No frills, but very solid email service. It is IMAP, so works great with Mail.app

21. Raima macrumors 6502

I checked out Outlook but found out they don't support IMAP.

Can't believe Microsoft still can't support it.

Also used my web hosting email system, but ended going elsewhere as each IMAP connection created an open process. My account was limited to 25 processes, so when it hit that, my hosting services like the web site started to fail. Apparently it only happens when Mac clients are used.

Ended up using gmail and google apps for business. Great anti spam filters, fast and reliable. They've possible got the best email servers out there.

Best email decision made ever.

22. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I use iCloud as my primary email solution. I've also migrated all my family to iCloud away from Google as I hate the spying that goes on. I find iCloud to be the most reliable and feature-rich email platform on the planet. Nothing else compares to iCloud for me and the push functionality is better than hosted exchange.

23. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I'm assuming you mean outlook.com web mail formerly Hotmail, Live, MSN.

There is a Third Party Option:

Access Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook for Mac Using IzyMail for Full IMAP Access $1.49/month

http://email.about.com/od/windowslivehotmailtips/qt/et_izymail.htm

24. Raima macrumors 6502

Yes, I meant Outlook.com :)

Thanks for sharing the third party option. It's nice to to know. For me tho, I think I'm just going to stick with gmail and google apps for business.