Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I am running something for my school, and need to let everyone read the emails sent to a certain account. But, the thing is, I don't want them logging into the main account, so how would I let them do this?

Basically, I want SOME people to be able to read the emails, not all...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Set up a rule, either in the mailbox itself or in your e-mail app, that forwards all relevant mail to a secondary mailbox... then let everyone access THAT mailbox. Make sure you use a different password for the secondary mailbox, and make sure that each user sets their e-mail app to LEAVE a copy of messages in the mailbox... otherwise, the first person to view the message will suck it out of the mailbox, and no one else will be able to see it.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
clayjohanson said:
Set up a rule, either in the mailbox itself or in your e-mail app, that forwards all relevant mail to a secondary mailbox... then let everyone access THAT mailbox. Make sure you use a different password for the secondary mailbox, and make sure that each user sets their e-mail app to LEAVE a copy of messages in the mailbox... otherwise, the first person to view the message will suck it out of the mailbox, and no one else will be able to see it.

I don't want them to reply to the emails either...

They can reply with that account.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
dotdotdot said:
I don't want them to reply to the emails either...

They can reply with that account.
Hmm. I don't know of any way to allow someone to receive mail, but not send... maybe it's possible to set up the mailbox so that it has no outgoing (SMTP) server, or to set a (different) password on the SMTP server so that they cannot send mail?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.