Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I'm having trouble formatting an email signature. Here is the example below – the first is the preview in safari from the HTML in Dreamweaver, the second is the how it is received in my mail app – the same, apart that now the web address becomes a blue hyperlink. My question: is there a way (in HTML) to specify that it can stay a link, but keeps it's original formatting (colour white, no underline)?

Any help appreciated.

Picture_1_3.png

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't know if that's possible, although I guess you could try to put the "style" attribute in a span tag around the address. Another thing to consider is that you are probably better off with just a plain text signature in the first place, as some of your clients will have HTML mail disabled or not even have the option all together.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Not 100% sure (as I've never tried) but I would assume that you could do it in a similar way to a website.

I've changed the colour (reds and greys in this case) of my site links via the css file using the below so I would have though you may be able to use something similar in a html email sig, although not sure how you'd get rid of the underline (personally I'd keep it as its a recognised hyperlink symbol)

a:link { color: #af2828; }
a:visited { color: #808080; }
a:hover { color: #808080; }
a:active { color: #af2828; }

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Thanks for the replies, I was also advised to use some inline css. (text decoration: none). I don't know if this would be ok for email apps that can read HTML but not css.

Is there a way of having it sent as both text/HTML, where the HTML is ignored or pushed to the bottom of the email if not supported?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Is there a way of having it sent as both text/HTML, where the HTML is ignored or pushed to the bottom of the email if not supported?

Again, since the format of e-mails is determined at the destination as opposed to by the sender, there's not a whole lot you can do other than use a plain text-formatted signature to begin with. Even a small image would be better, but you're still going to inflict e-mails with attachments on those users that don't have inline image display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.