Email signature

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irishgrizzly, May 14, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm having trouble formatting an email signature. Here is the example below – the first is the preview in safari from the HTML in Dreamweaver, the second is the how it is received in my mail app – the same, apart that now the web address becomes a blue hyperlink. My question: is there a way (in HTML) to specify that it can stay a link, but keeps it's original formatting (colour white, no underline)?

Any help appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know if that's possible, although I guess you could try to put the "style" attribute in a span tag around the address. Another thing to consider is that you are probably better off with just a plain text signature in the first place, as some of your clients will have HTML mail disabled or not even have the option all together.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

Not 100% sure (as I've never tried) but I would assume that you could do it in a similar way to a website.

I've changed the colour (reds and greys in this case) of my site links via the css file using the below so I would have though you may be able to use something similar in a html email sig, although not sure how you'd get rid of the underline (personally I'd keep it as its a recognised hyperlink symbol)

a:link { color: #af2828; }
    a:visited { color: #808080; }
    a:hover { color: #808080; }
    a:active { color: #af2828; }

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks for the replies, I was also advised to use some inline css. (text decoration: none). I don't know if this would be ok for email apps that can read HTML but not css.

Is there a way of having it sent as both text/HTML, where the HTML is ignored or pushed to the bottom of the email if not supported?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Again, since the format of e-mails is determined at the destination as opposed to by the sender, there's not a whole lot you can do other than use a plain text-formatted signature to begin with. Even a small image would be better, but you're still going to inflict e-mails with attachments on those users that don't have inline image display.